Epidemic Current Affairs - 2020
With the lock down period nearing its closure, the Govenremnt of India has begun its preliminary preparations to pull the economy back to its bloom. Several strategies are being adopted by the Government in order to achieve this.
On April 6, 2020, the Union Health Ministry launched the “Containment Plan for Large Outbreaks”. The plan is similar to “Bhilwara Model” of Rajasthan
There are six steps in the plan. They are as follows
- Isolation of a region by imposing Section 144. It shall be a town, municipal, city or a district.
- The hotspots within the isolated region are mapped
- Door to Door screening of people. This also includes on checking if the home quarantined people are following the protocols.
- Adopt contact tracing and spot the source of the new infection
- Increase quarantine facilities
- Build confidence of the people in the rural region, increase their awareness and monitor them continuously.
The plan is being launched to enable a routine life in other parts other parts of the country where the spread of the virus is less. The plan is to be strictly followed in identified hotspots.
Tags: bhilwara model • contact tracing • Containment Plan for Large Outbreaks • Epidemic • hotspots of COVID-19
The Government of India has traced 1,023 cases of COVID-19 to Tablighi Jamaat congregation. The Contact Tracing across 17 states have led to Tablighi Jamaat Congregation.
It is a religious congregation that took place in Nizamuddin Markaz Mosque. The incident has emerged to be the 30% source of spread of the virus in the country. Out of all the states, Tamil Nadu is the worst affected. This is because, out of 386 cases, 259 of the cases in Tamil Nadu attended the event.
In Uttar Pradesh around 160 attendees of the event were quarantined. Due to their uncontrollable violence and misbehaviours, National Security Act was invoked against them by the UP Government.
What is Contract Tracing?
Contract Tracing is to find out how the virus has transmitted. It is the process to identify, assess and manage people having exposed to the disease. Guidelines of GoI states that contact tracing must be implemented within 48 hours of reporting.
National Security Act
The act extends to the whole of India. It empowers the Central and State Governments to invoke the act to maintain public order.