Erode Turmeric Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Erode Turmeric has finally received GI tag from the Geographical Indication Registry after a long and cumbersome process which lasted for about 8 years. Erode is the city in the state of Tamil Nadu.
Features of Erode Turmeric
The claim for the uniqueness of the Erode Turmeric highlighted the following characteristics:
- Mean length of the fingers of Erode turmeric was about 4.15cm.
- Mean circumference was about 3.03cm.
- Mean bulb length of the mother rhizome is about 4.54cm.
- Mean circumference is 6.54cm.
- Erode Turmeric is golden yellow in colour with resistance to pests after boiling.
- Erode turmeric contains 2.5 to 4.5% of curcumin content.
- Erode Turmeric is grown in hot moist conditions prevalent in the area with temperature ranging from 20 degrees to 37.9 degrees Celsius with an average of 600 to 800 mm rainfall in a year.
Geographical Indication defines the goods as originating in the territory of a country or a region or locality in that territory, provided a given quality reputation or other characteristics of the product are attributable to its geographical origin. The product to acquire GI tag has to indicate that a product of a particular origin has a certain quality or reputation or some other characteristics, which is essentially attributable to its geographical origin.