F1 World champion Current Affairs - 2020
Three-time Formula One (F1) World champion Niki Lauda dies in Vienna at the age of 70. He underwent a lung transplant in August 2018.
About Niki Lauda
- The Austrian national was one of the best known figures in motor racing.
- He was born in Vienna in February 1949 and became a motor racing legend.
- He had won three Formula One (F1) world titles between 1975 and 1984.
- He won the title for Ferrari in 1975 and 1977 and McLaren in 1984.
- He suffered horrific injuries at German Grand Prix (GP) in 1976 and will always be remembered for his remarkable recovery and return to racing after being badly burned in the crash.
- He has overall competed in 171 races and won 25 of them.
- After his retirement he actively pursued business interests including his own airline later served in senior roles at F1 management as non-executive chairman at hugely successful Mercedes team since 2012, where he also helped bring British world champion Lewis Hamilton on board.