Flamingo Festival Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The three-day annual Flamingo Festival was held at Pulicat lake and Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary in Sullurpet mandal. Flamingo Festival is held every year to promote tourism in Pulicat and Nellapattu.
Flamingo Festival is being organised for the past 12 years. Migratory birds from Siberia have visit this place during winter season for breeding. Somewhere between 9,000 to 12,000 migratory birds arrive at Pulicat region for breeding this season.
Usually around 80 different avian species migrate to Pulicat for breeding. They hunt in shallow waters of lake and breed there. Once the breeding season concludes, they fly away to their native land with their offspring in tow.
Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary
Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary is one of the biggest habitats for some hundreds of pelicans and other birds. It is located about 20 km north of the Pulicat Lake on the Andhra Pradesh-Tamil Nadu border. This sanctuary spread in an area about 459 hectares and plays important role in nesting of various birds especially migratory birds. Every year during winter season from October to March, different species of migratory birds, roosting migrants and some rare and endangered species from various parts of the world visit the habitat.
Pulicat Lake is the second largest brackish water lake or lagoon in India after Chilika Lake. It is located on border of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu with over 96% of it in Andhra Pradesh and 4% in Tamil Nadu situated on Coromandal Coast in South India. The lake encompasses Pulicat Lake Bird Sanctuary. The barrier island of Sriharikota separates the lake from the Bay of Bengal and is home to Satish Dhawan Space Centre. Arani and Kalangi are two rivers which feed the lagoon. The Buckingham Canal, a navigation channel, is part of the lagoon on its western side.
3 day Flamingo Festival has begun at the famous brackish water of Lake Pulicat in Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary located at Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh. It will be hosted in Doravari Satram mandal, in Nellore district.
This festival provides a unique opportunity for people, particularly ornithologists, environmentalists, bird watchers, forest and tourism officials
- To study the bio-diversity of Pulicat and Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary
- To initiate measure to conserve the bio-zones for future generations in this area.
It also promotes eco-tourism in the district. In this three day festival, several cultural and entertainment programmes will take place.
Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary
- The Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary, considered one of the biggest habitats for some hundreds of pelicans and other birds.
- It is located about 20 km north of the Pulicat Lake on the Andhra Pradesh-Tamil Nadu border.
- This sanctuary spread in an area about 459 hectares.
- Every year from October to March, different species of migratory birds, roosting migrants and some rare and endangered species from various parts of the world visit the habitat.
- This sanctuary plays important role in nesting of various birds especially migratory birds.
- Birds found in this sanctuary are: Flamingos, Pelicans, Siberian Storks, Open Billed Storks, Night Herons, Egrets, Little Cormorant, Golden Backed Wood Pecker, Spotted and Ring Doves, King Fishers, Painted Storks, White Necked Storks, Spoon Bills and other species of birds.
- The villagers in area nearby to this sanctuary treat the migratory birds with affection and provide protection to them.