Fortune Magazine Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Seven Indian companies have made it to the latest Fortune 500 list of the world’s biggest corporations in terms of revenue.
Fortune 500 list is an annual ranking of the world’s wealthiest companies, compiled and published by the American business magazine Fortune and published globally by Time Inc.
In it companies are ranked by total revenues for their respective fiscal year which has ended on or before March 31, 2015. Revenue figures of companies mainly include their consolidated subsidiaries, reported revenues from the discontinued operations and excluding excise taxes.
- 7 Indian companies are: Indian Oil Corporation (161st), Reliance Industries (215th), Tata Motors (226th), State Bank of India (232nd), Bharat Petroleum (358th), Hindustan Petroleum (367th) and Rajesh Exports (423rd).
- Global top 10 companies: Walmart (1st), State Grid (2nd), China National Petroleum (3rd), Sinopec Group (4th), Royal Dutch Shell (5th), Exxon Mobil (6th), Volkswagen (7th), Toyota Motor (8th), Apple (9th) and BP (10th).
- The world’s 500 largest companies generated collectively generated 27.6 trillion dollars in revenues and 1.5 trillion dollars in profits in 2015.
- Together, 2016 Fortune Global 500 companies employ 67 million people worldwide and are represented by 33 countries.
Tags: Business • Economy • Fortune 500 • Fortune Magazine
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has been named among the world’s 50 greatest leaders by Fortune magazine. He is sole leader from India in the list and has been placed at 42nd position.
2016 edition is Fortune magazine’s third annual ‘World’s 50 Greatest Leaders’ list and it has been topped by Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos.
- Top 10: Jeff Bezos (1st position), Angela Merkel (2nd), Aung San Suu Kyi (3rd), Pope Francis (4th), Tim Cook (5th), John Legend (6th), Christiana Figueres (7th), Paul Ryan (8th), Ruth Bader Ginsburg (9th) and Sheikh Hasina (10th).
- Indian Americans in the list: Indian-American Nikki Haley and Resham Saujani were placed at 17th and 20th position respectively.
- Nikki Haley is South Carolina’s Governor and Resham Saujani is founder and CEO of tech organization ‘Girls Who Code’.
- Others in the list: US astronaut Scott Kelly and Russian cosmonaut Mikhail Kornienko (22th), IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde (36), Melinda Gates and Susan Desmond-Hellmann (41th), Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (48) and Bhutanese Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay (50).
About World’s 50 Greatest Leaders list
The ‘World’s 50 Greatest Leaders’ list of Fortune Magazine features men and women from across the globe from the fields of government, business, arts and the philanthropy who are transforming the world and inspiring others to do the same.