FSSAI Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Punjab government has decided to make it mandatory for all online food aggregators to ensure that food supplied by them should compulsorily have hygiene rating as per Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) guidelines.
- Reason: The online food order and door to door delivery mechanism of food supply has created a physical disconnect between consumers and the food maker. Therefore, the onus of ensuring quality of food and that conditions under which food is prepared are hygienic has shifted to the intermediate food delivery mechanism.
- About: Keeping this in mind, Punjab government has issued a direction to all online aggregators that all the online order and supply companies should display hygiene rating of all food business operators registered or affiliated with them.
- Measures: Punjab’s Food and Drug Administration has sensitized companies operational in Punjab including Zomato, Swiggy, Uber Eats and Food Panda on the issue and also directed them to get the hygiene rating done of all the food business operators (FBO’s) registered with them.
- Condition: The terms put forward includes that only those FBO’s who are at higher level of hygiene rating (bearing 3 or more smilies), should be allowed to supply food under the online food orders-delivery mechanism.
About Food Safety and Standards Authority of India
- It is an autonomous body established in 2011 under the Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. It is responsible for protecting and promoting public health via regulations and supervisions of food safety.
- It is headed by a non-executive Chairperson who is appointed by Central Government.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) had launched Swasth Bharat Yatra to amplify its Eat Right India initiative. Swasth Bharat Yatra was a 100-day consumer outreach programme.
The Yatra saw the participation of around 2.5 crore people across various States and UTs. It also led to the creation of 21,000 local ‘Eat Right Champions’ who would sustain this movement in the future.
Awards for Exemplary participation
The following states were awarded for their Exemplary participation:
- Best State Overall: Tamil Nadu
- Best States with a population above 3 crore: Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra.
- Best States having a population less than 3 crore: Punjab, Goa and Delhi
- Special awards: Meghalaya, Jammu and Kashmir and Uttrakhand were given special awards for their participation despite their hilly and difficult terrain.
Eat Right Start-Up Awards were also be given for innovative food products, food services, food testing and community outreach and engagement at the ceremony.
Tags: Delhi • Eat Right Champions • Eat Right India initiative • Food Safety and Standards Authority of India • FSSAI • Goa • Gujarat • Jammu and Kashmir • Madhya Pradesh • Maharashtra • Meghalaya • Punjab • Swasth Bharat Yatra • Tamil Nadu • Uttar Pradesh • Uttrakhand