G Satheesh Reddy Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has appointed distinguished missile scientist Dr. G Satheesh Reddy was appointed as Secretary of Department of Defence R&D (DDR&D) and Chairman of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). Prior to this appointment he was scientific adviser to defence minister and director general, Missiles & Strategic Systems (DG MSS). Union Government in May 2015 had bifurcated post of scientific adviser to defence minister-cum-DRDO chief, which was held by one person till then.
Dr. G Satheesh Reddy
He is well known for his significant contributions to indigenous design, development, deployment of diversified missiles and strategic systems, guided weapons, avionics technologies and for sustained efforts in advancement of aerospace technologies & industries in India.
He hails from Nellore in Andhra Pradesh. He had graduated in electronics and communication engineering from JNTU, Anantapur, and received his MS & Ph.D from JNTU, Hyderabad. He joined Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL), Hyderabad in 1986. Subsequently he had joined Research Centre Imarat (RCI), which is brain child of scientist and late president Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, after its formation.
He was elevated as Distinguished Scientist in September 2014 and was appointed as scientific adviser to defence minister in May 2015. In this role, he had significantly contributed to formulation of many national policies and was pivotal in evolving roadmap for self-sufficiency in missiles.
As DG of Missiles and Strategic Systems (DG, MSS), he had spearheaded Abdul Kalam Missile Complex Laboratories – ASL, DRDL and RCI, ITR, TBRL and other technical facilities. He also had led design and development of wide range of tactical and strategic missile systems to attain complete self-sufficiency in missiles and initiated many projects to equip armed forces with state-of-the-art weapons and technologies.
He also had played important role in invigorating Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) programme and developed mission critical technologies for long range Agni-5 missile. As director, RCI, he had led many programmes, projects and steered development of indigenous RF and IIR Seekers.
Senior DRDO scientist Dr. G. Satheesh Reddy was awarded the first IEI-IEEE Award for Engineering Excellence-2015.
He was bestowed with this award in recognition of his significant national contributions towards missiles and aerospace technologies.
About G Satheesh Reddy
- Reddy is a renowned aerospace and navigation scientist. Presently, he is serving as the Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister and DRDO’s DG (Missiles & Strategic Systems),
- He had served as Director of the Research Centre Imarat (RCI), a key laboratory of Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- He has pioneered many technological developments for Indian Missiles. He had led indigenous development of denied sensor and avionics technologies related to Indian missile navigation.
- He also has made significant contributions towards successful flight testing of the country’s maiden intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) Agni-V mission.
- He is also credited with development of the Medium Range Surface-to-Air Weapon System (MRSAM) and the country’s first guided bomb, among others.
- In 2015, he became first Indian to get the fellowship from Royal Institute of Navigation.
IEI-IEEE Award: It has been constituted by the Institution of Engineers (India) and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Asia Pacific region to mark IEI’s 50th anniversary.