Gangmumei Kamei Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Noted Manipur-based historian, litterateur and scholar Gangmumei Kamei passed away in Imphal following protracted illness. He was 77.
Kamei was currently a member of the North Eastern Council (NEC). Earlier, he had served as a minister in Manipur on two occasions.
About Gangmumei Kamei
- Gangmumei Kamei was born on October 21, 1939 in Imphal. He was specialised in the history of the North-eastern region, and more particularly of Manipur.
- He hailed from the Zeliangrong community which is spread across Manipur, Assam and Nagaland.
- Academic Life: He had served as a professor of History in Manipur University and also president of Northeast India History Association (NEIHA) in its Kohima session of 1986.
- He had authored several books and a large number of research papers. Some of his most well-known books are A History of Modern Manipur (1826-2000), On History and Historiography of Manipur, A History of Manipur: Pre-colonial Period, Ethnicity and Social Change, Lectures on History of Manipur and History of Zeliangrong Nagas: From Makhel to Rani Gaidinliu,.
- He was a historian of national repute and had served as a member of the Advisory Committee of the Anthropological Survey of India (1984-87) and also a member of the ICSSR panel on Tribal Studies.
- Political Life: He was also into active politics and public life. He had founded the Federal Party of Manipur in 1993. He was also elected to the state assembly twice in 1995 and 2001 and also served as a minister twice.
- In 2013 he had joined the BJP. In July 2015, Union Government had appointed him as a member of the NEC.
- Awards and Honours: Platinum Jubilee Samman in 2010 by the Manipuri Sahitya Parishad for his contribution to history and tribal culture, National Fellowship by Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla in 2010-2012.