GDP data Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Central Statistical Office (CSO) has released the data about the GDP for the third quarter. The important facts from the data are:
- Indian economy decelerated at a faster pace than anticipated in the third quarter of 2018-19 to 6.6%. This was the lowest in five quarters. This increases the possibility of another round of rate cuts by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in April to support growth.
- The full-year growth forecast for the current fiscal year has been revised to 7% from the 7.2% estimated earlier.
- The growth rates for the earlier quarters ere also revised downward to 8% and 7% respectively.
- It is also estimated that in the March quarter the economy would decelerate to 6.4%.
- The size of the Indian economy through the nominal gross domestic product (GDP) was revised upward to Rs 190.54 trillion ($2.7 trillion) against Rs 188.41 trillion ($2.65 trillion).
- This revision of the size of the GDP would aid in achieving the fiscal deficit target of 3.3% of GDP for 2018-19 as estimated in last year’s budget against the revised estimate of 3.4%.
Even after the deceleration in growth rate, India remains the fastest growing economy as China’s economy cooled in the December quarter to a 28-year low of 6.4%.