Geomapping Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Agriculture Ministry has joined hands with the National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC), a wing of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for geo-tagging agricultural assets.
In this regard, Agriculture Ministry under the Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojna (RKVY) and NRSC have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
- The move will help bring transparency in governance due to real-time monitoring and effective utilisation of agricultural assets such as ponds, crop area, warehouses and laboratories etc.
- At present, officials provide information on the assets manually, so there is no transparency. Geo-tagging will provide realistic status of assets.
- It will not only help in monitoring and utilising assets but will be useful in formulating schemes for development in the agricultural sector. It will also help in avoiding duplication of data.
- Utilisation of space technology will help farmers to further get access to pesticide testing labs, storage infrastructure, and market-related information.
Geotagging: It is the process of adding geographical identification like latitude and longitude to various media such as a photo or video. It helps user to find a wide variety of location-specific information from a device. It provides users the pinpoint location of the content of a given picture.
Geomapping: It is a visual representation of the geographical location of geotagged assets layered on top of map or satellite imagery.
About Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana
- RKVY is a special Additional Central Assistance Scheme which launched in August 2007 as a part of the 11th Five Year Plan.
- It was aimed to orient agricultural development strategies, to reaffirm its commitment to achieve 4% annual growth in the agricultural sector during the 11th plan (2007–11).
- It was launched to incentivize the States to provide additional resources in their State Plans over and above their baseline expenditure to bridge critical gaps.