Girmitiya countries Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Know India Programme (KIP) is a flagship initiative for Diaspora engagement. The programme aims to familiarize Indian-origin youth (18-30 years) with their Indian roots and contemporary India.
Features of the Programme
The important features of the Know India Programme are:
- Know India Programme is a three-week orientation programme for diaspora youth.
- The programme aims to promote awareness on different facets of life in India and the progress made by the country in various fields e.g. economic, industrial, education, science & technology, communication & information Technology and culture.
- The programme provides a unique forum for students & young professionals of Indian origin to visit India, share their views, expectations & experiences and to develop closer bonds with contemporary India.
- The programme has been in existence since 2003 and is open to PIO youth from all over the world.
- The programme is open to youth of Indian origin (excluding non-resident Indians) with preference to those from Girmitiya countries (Mauritius, Fiji, Suriname, Guyana, T&T, Jamaica etc).
- The programme mandates a minimum qualification of graduation or being enrolled for graduation to be part of the scheme.
The programme incorporates following aspects to familiarise Youths about Indian Society and culture:
- Understanding of India’s political system, economy, society, and developments in various sectors etc.
- Visiting places of historical, cultural, religious importance.
- Familiarisation with art, music and culture of India.
- Visiting industrial sites.
- Visiting a village.
- Interaction with non-profit organizations.
- Meetings with senior leadership/officials in India.
- Visiting a select state in India for 10 days.
The Ministry of External Affairs implements the programme in association with the chosen partner state.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojana. The features of the Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojana are:
- Under the scheme, a group of Indian diaspora will be taken on a government-sponsored tour of religious places in India twice a year.
- The first batch of 40 people participated in the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2019 held in Varanasi.
- Those selected would be taken to religious places of all major religions in India.
- The government will bear all the expenses including the airfare from their country of residence.
- People of Indian-origin aged 45 to 65 can apply can avail the benefits under the scheme.
- The Scheme accords first preference to people from Girmitiya countries such as Mauritius, Fiji, Suriname, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, and Jamaica.
Girmitiya’s are the descendants of indentured Indian labourers brought to Fiji, Mauritius, South Africa, East Africa, the Malay Peninsula, Caribbean and South America (Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana and Suriname) to work on sugarcane plantations for the prosperity of the European settlers.
The term Girmitiya was coined by the father of the nation, Mahatma Gandhi who referred to himself as first Girmitiya. The countries where these indentured Indian labourers settled are known as Girmitiya countries.
Tags: Fiji • Girmitiya • Girmitiya countries • Guyana • Indian Diaspora • Jamaica • Mahatma Gandhi • Mauritius • Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2019 • Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojana • Prime Minister • Suriname • Trinidad and Tobago