Google Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Tech giant Google has unveiled a new app ‘Bolo’ that aims to help children in primary school learn to read in Hindi and English.
- It is free to use app and can be accessed through the Google Play Store.
- The app uses Google’s speech recognition and text-to-speech technology.
- Through an animated character Diya, the app encourages children to read stories aloud.
- The app also helps if the child is unable to pronounce a word.
- It lauds the reader when he/she completes the reading.
- The app also works offline. Once downloaded the user will have access to 100 stories in Hindi and English that the children can read out loud and improve their reading skills.
Google has already piloted the Bolo App in about 200 villages in Uttar Pradesh. Google cites the early results as encouraging with 64 per cent of children showing an improvement in reading proficiency in just three months. Google is now planning to collaborate with non-profit groups to enhance the reach of the app.
Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has partnered with Google to launch Loo Review campaign on Google Map. The joint campaign has been launched under aegis of Swachh Bharat Mission – Urban (SBM–U). It will run throughout October and November 2018 in an effort to increase awareness and ease of locating public toilets across India.
Loo Review campaign
This campaign aims to encourage all local guides in India to rate and review public toilets on Google Maps. It is part of feature which allows all citizens to locate public toilets in their cities on Google Maps, Search and t Assistant and also provide feedback on same. 500 plus cities in India with more than 30,000 toilets with name of “SBM Toilet” are currently live on Google Maps.
The campaign will involve and engage Local Guides in India to rate and review public toilets on Google Maps. Besides, use hashtag #LooReview will chance give chance to users to be featured on Google Local Guides’ social channels. Local Guides are people who will share reviews, photos, and knowledge on Google Maps to help people explore the world.
One of the objectives of the Swachh Bharat Mission – Urban (SBM – U) is to provide sanitation coverage through public toilet facilities across cities in India for achieving Open Defecation Free (ODF) status. With around 3400 cities across the country already have achieved ODF status and other cities gearing up towards same. This campaign will address need for ensuring ODF status is sustained through continuous usage and proper maintenance of public toilets.