Google India Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Google India have launched Android Skill Development programme to improve mobile developer ecosystem in the country.
The programme aims to impart mobile development training on the android OS and web platform and also improve the quality of mobile app development ecosystem in India.
Under the initiative, NSDC will introduce a specific course to create applications for the mobile platform that can be used on smartphones and tablets running on the Android OS. NSDC’s partner agencies will design and deliver 100-hour duration course outside the formal education system.
Under the programme, Google India and NSDC will work together to focus on up-skilling Android trainers. The programme will accelerate mobile skill training and create opportunities for youth in the country. It will focus on achieving the target of the Union Government’s ambitious Skill India initiative.
National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC)
The NSDC is a Public Private Partnership (PPP) under the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship. Its objective is to create training capacity in the country; fund vocational training initiatives and create a market ecosystem for skill development. Its mandate is to train 150 million people by 2022.
Supreme Court (SC) has directed search engines like Google India, Yahoo and Micrsoft’s Bing to block advertisements on sex determination and strictly comply with the laws.
This ruling was given by SC bench comprising of Justices Dipak Misra and Prafulla C. Pant on public interest litigation (PIL) filed by Dr. Sabu Mathew George in 2008.
PIL had highlighted that the use of Internet and popular search engines to promote sex determination technologies violates laws.
SC directions to search engines
- Withdraw advertisements on sex determination as it violates Section 22 of the Pre-Conception and Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques (Prohibition of Sex Selection) Act,1994.
- Search engines must upload this order on their policy page and also the page containing terms and conditions of service to serve as a warning for persons intending to put up such advertisements.
- Though sex determination is illegal India, it is still practiced which has a severe effects on male-female ratio.
- As per UN data, India’s child sex ratio has dropped from 964 in 1971 to a low of 918 in 2011.
- While between 2001 and 2011, child sex ratio has declined in more than two-thirds of the districts in the country and this problem is worse in urban areas.