Governance Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA) has bagged the SKOCH Award, 2018 for its remarkable achievements in the field of disaster management. The award was presented at the 56th SKOTCH Summit held at New Delhi.
The SKOCH Award is being presented since 2003 to individuals and institutions having done meritorious works in the field of governance, finance, banking, disaster management, technology, corporate citizenship, economics and inclusive growth by Skoch Group.
OSDMA and Disaster Management
- OSDMA had received Order-of-merit in the Gold category for constructing 879 multipurpose cyclone and flood shelters which played a key role in saving human lives during Cyclone Phailin in 2013.
- OSDMA had received ‘Order-of-merit’ in the silver category for constructing disaster resilient houses for about 17,000 Phailin affected families by relocating them to safer places.
- Order-of-merit Bronze was given to the OSDMA for its Early Warning Dissemination System for different hydro-meteorological disasters across the coastline of Odisha which will benefit 1,205 villages in 22 blocks of six coastal districts.
- OSDMA had received ICHL award, 2013 for Excellence in Humanitarian Action in the field of Disaster Management and many certifications for effective management of disasters.
These awards are the recognition of Odisha becoming a model state in disaster management and risk mitigation since the 1999 Super Cyclone.
Tags: 1999 Super Cyclone • Banking • corporate citizenship • Cyclone Phailin • Disaster Management
Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu presented Kalam Innovation in Governance Award 2019 at the third edition of Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Summit on Innovation and Governance, in New Delhi.
Kalam Summit on Innovation and Governance
Kalam Summit on Innovation and Governance is organised by the Kalam Centre to feature discussions and studies on various national and global examples of transformational governance for the betterment of the people.
The Summit is an international conclave of policymakers, civil service officers, NGOs, media and academia who are dedicated to the task of governance and its dimensions. The Summit is aimed at exploring how cutting edge technology, 21st-century management and out-of-box thinking, can transform the role and impact of governance in India and across the world.
The Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Award for Innovation in Governance will also be presented during the summit to individuals and institutions for their exemplary work in improving governance and delivering value to the citizens. The awards are given in the following categories:
- Healthcare, Sanitation & Nutrition
- Security & Safety
- Women & Child Welfare
- Banking, Economics & Finance
- Rural Development & Agriculture
- International Contribution
- Technology, IT & Enterprise
- Social Welfare
- Media & Entertainment
Kalam Centre stands to take forward the dreams of Dr Kalam, which he left behind for the nation and world – right up to his very final moment at IIM Shillong.