Governing Council of NITI Aayog Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Third edition of Women Transforming India Awards to be organized by Government think- tank NITI Aayog on 16th December. On this occasion NITI Aayog will also launch the upgraded portal of Women Entrepreneurship Platform. Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu will present the awards to the women. The theme for this year awards is – ‘Women and Entrepreneurship’ and 15 winners have been selected.
Women Transforming India Awards
The awards were launched in 2016 to recognize the exceptional women who are working hard and making difference in lives of others. It invites the stories of women entrepreneurs from the country, who are doing innovative work to address the key development challenges and impacting the communities.
The nominations of the awards were opened on the launch of Women Entrepreneurship Platform in March this year. The event will include panel discussions consists of entrepreneurs, investors, and experts.
National Institution for Transforming India was launched on 1st January 2015 to achieve Sustainable Development Goals and enhance cooperative federalism by increasing involvement of states in the policy making process. The initiative consists of 5 years road map plan and 7 years vision, strategy and action plan. NITI Aayog replaced the 65 years old Planning Commission of India.
Functions of NITI Aayog
- To enhance the involvement of States in decision making process by fostering cooperative federalism.
- To promote innovation, knowledge and entrepreneurial support system through a collaborative community of national and international experts.
- Incorporating National security in economic strategy and policy.
- To maintain state-of-the-art resource center for best practices in sustainable and equitable development and promote good governance.
- Formulate the strategies at village level and integrate these at higher levels of government.
- To work towards the technology up-gradation for implementation of policies.
- The design framework for strategic and long-term policies and monitor their progress.
Board of NITI Aayog
The board consists of a Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Ex-Officio members, Chief Executive Officer, Special Invitees, Full time members and Governing Council.
Chairperson – The Prime Minister of India
Vice Chairperson – Rajiv Kumar
Chief Executive Officer – Amitabh Kant
Governing Council – All Chief minister of Stated and LG of Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Special Invitees.
Prime Minister (PM) Narendra Modi has constituted three sub-groups of Chief Ministers within National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog.
It was announced by PM while he was chairing the first meeting of the Governing Council of NITI Aayog in New Delhi.
- First sub-group- It will study the 66 centrally-sponsored schemes and recommend which schemes should continue, which should be transferred to states, and which to discontinue.
- Second sub-group- It will focus on skill development and creation of skilled manpower within states.
- Third sub-group- It will decide on the institutional mechanisms to be evolved for Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan, so that cleanliness becomes a part of life in perpetuity.
Key highlights of first meeting of the Governing Council of NITI Aayog
- In this meeting, Governor of Jammu and Kashmir and Lt Governors of Andaman and Nicobar and Delhi, and the Chief Ministers of the rest of the states participated.
- PM has asked all the states to create two task forces under the aegis of the NITI Aayog, one to focus on poverty alleviation, and the other to focus on future development of agriculture in the states.
- First meeting also focused on issues related to growth, investment, decentralisation and poverty alleviation.
- PM also stressed on the role of the states and emphasised how Jan Dhan Yojana and Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan had become successful with cooperation of the states.