Government Health Current Affairs
The Union Government launched Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) to provide free health check-ups to pregnant women at government health centres and hospitals.
The Scheme was launched by Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda in New Delhi. It was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his monthly radio address Mann Ki Baat in June 2016.
- The national programme aims to provide pregnant ladies free ante-natal services (ANC) and required treatment for free on 9th of every month.
- Objectives of the scheme are (i) Provide healthy life to the pregnant women. (ii) Lowering the maternity mortality rate. (iii) Making pregnant women aware of their health issues and diseases. (iv) Making sure safe delivery and healthy life of the baby.
- The scheme is applicable only for the pregnant women in their pregnancy period of 3 to 6 months. It will provide all kinds of medical checkups completely free to pregnant women.
- These checkups will take place at the medical centres, government and private hospitals and private clinics across the country.
- These free of cost tests will include blood pressure, sugar level, weight, haemoglobin test, blood test and screening.
- Women will be marked differently using different colour stickers based on their health problems so that doctors can easily detect the problem.
- Different colour stickers will be Red Sticker for Serious patients, Blue Sticker for High blood pressure and Yellow Sticker for Other diseases.