Government Schemes Current Affairs - 2019
PDF compilation of recent 250 updates in Government schemes can be downloaded from this link.
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Government’s Sukanya Samridhi Yojna under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) campaign has begun in Jaunpur district in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
The first account under the scheme was opened in the name of a three-year old girl Vedika Tiwari in this district by her parents.
Sukanya Samridhi Yojna under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) campaign
- It was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 22 January 2015 in Haryana to enhance the strength and honour of the girl children across the country.
- This scheme encompasses all the girls of every economic strata under 10 years of age to open Sukanya Samridhi Account in Post offices and in the Banks. This account will be opened by girls parents or legal guardians.
- In the account, a minimum of one thousand Rupees and maximum of One lakh fifty thousand Rupees can be deposited annually, upon which interest of 9.1% will be accrued.
- When the girl child attains the age of 18 years, she herself would become eligible to operate the account.
- Under the scheme, the girl child can withdraw 50 per cent of the money after reaching age of 18 for higher education. The 18 years deadline will also help preventing child-marriages.
Union Government has launched ambitious Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao(BBBP) campaign to save and empower girl child.
The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi from Panipat in Haryana.
Why Haryana was chosen to launch Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao campaign?
- Haryana was chosen to launch the nation-wide Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao initiative because of the skewed sex ratio in the state.
- It has one of the lowest Child Sex Ratio in country which stands at 879 girls per 1,000 boys as against the national child sex ratio of 918 girls per 1000 boys.
Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao (BBBP)campaign
- It aims to spread awareness about the declining trend of Child Sex Ratio in the country.
- Objective: To prevent gender biased sex selective elimination by strict enforcement of laws with stringent punishment to violators.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD), is the nodal agency for the implementation of the scheme. While, Centre has provided initial corpus of 100 crore rupees for it.
- It will be implemented in 100 districts of the country, including 12 districts of Haryana.
- In this regard, union government will try to ensure access and availability of essential requirements related to nutrition, health-care, education, protection and elimination of discrimination of girl child.
- This scheme will also generate awareness and improve the efficiency of delivery of welfare services meant for women.