Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the Jeevan Pramaan scheme- an Aadhar based Digital Life Certificate for pensioners. This digital life certificate scheme will benefit over 1 crore pensioners who have to produce Life Certificates each year to receive pension.
Earlier, pensioner either personally presented himself before the Pension Disbursing Agency or used to submit a Life Certificate issued by authorities specified by the Central Pension Accounting Office (CPAO).
Through this certificate, a pensioner now can digitally provide proof of his existence to authorities for continuity of pension every year instead of requiring presenting himself physically or through a Life Certificate issued by specified authorities.
Key Facts about Jeevan Praman
- The Department of Electronics and IT has developed a software application which will enable the recording of the pensioner`s Aadhar number and biometric details from his mobile device or computer by plugging in a biometric reading device.
- Key details of the pensioner including date, time and biometric information will be uploaded to a central database on real-time basis.
- It will enable the Pension Disbursing Agency to access a Digital Life Certificate. This will conclusively establish that the pensioner was alive at the time of authentication.
- This software application system will be made available to pensioners and other stakeholders on a large scale at no extra cost.
- It can be operated on a personal computer or a smartphone along with an inexpensive biometric reading device.
This facility will also be made available at Common Service Centres being operated under the National e-Governance Plan for the benefit of pensioners residing in remote and inaccessible areas