Governor Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Governor of Tamil Nadu Banwarilal Purohit presented the Sansad Ratna Awards in Chennai. The recipients under various categories include:
- MP from Cuttack, Odisha, Bhartruhari Mahtab was honoured for his performance in initiating debates.
- MP from Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh, Anurag Singh Thakur received Jury Committee Special award in the Lok Sabha for his distinguished performance.
- Standing committee on finance headed by M Veerappa Moily was selected for outstanding performance among the Parliamentary Standing Committees.
- MP from Kollam, Kerala, N K Premachandran, was selected for his performance in initiating debates.
- MP from Baramati (Maharashtra) Supriya Sule was honoured in overall tally, questions and women MPs categories.
- MP from Godda, Jharkhand, Nishikant Dubey was awarded for his outstanding performance in private member bills.
- MP, Rajeev Shankarrrao Satav was chosen for his outstanding performance among the first-time parliamentarians.
- MP from Maval, Maharashtra, Shrirang Appa Barne was selected for his outstanding performance.
- MP from Kolhapur, Dhananjay Bhimrao Mahadik was selected for his performance under questions and overall tally category.
- Heena Vijaykumar Gavit who raised 1,059 questions in the Lok Sabha and holds an attendance of 82 per cent was selected for her outstanding performance.
- Rajani Patil was selected as the topper in overall tally among the retirees of Rajya Sabha.
- Ananda Bhaskar Rapolu, MP from Telangana was selected for debates among the retirees of the upper House.
Sansad Ratna Award
Sansad Ratna Award (“Gem of Parliament”) was established in 2010 by the Prime Point Foundation and e-magazine PreSense to honour “top performing” Members of the Indian Parliament, based on the suggestions given by Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, Former President of India.
The awards are given on behalf of “civil society” through a transparent selection process by a Jury committee of eminent Parliamentarians, based on the data on various performance parameters.
President Ramnath Kovind has appointed former Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel as Governor of Madhya Pradesh. She will replace Gujarat governor Om Prakash Kohli who is holding additional charge of office of Governor of Madhya Pradesh.
Born: November 21, 1941
Career Profile: She is former school teacher, a gold-medalist in MSc and also winner of President’s Medal.
She was elected to Rajya Sabha in 1994. She was the cabinet minister for education in the BJP-led government in Gujarat from 2002 to 2007.
She also had held important portfolios of urban development, revenue and disaster management and was earlier in charge of education ministry, steering successfully some of key projects of then CM Narendra Modi, including one for boosting female literacy.
She had succeeded Narendra Modi as first woman chief minister of Gujarat, when he was elected as Prime Minister of India following BJP’s victory in 2014 Lok Sabha polls. She had resigned from post of CM in 2016.
Constitutional provisions of Governor
Governor is constitutional head of state.
Article 153: It says that there shall be Governor for each state. 7th Constitutional Amendment Act, 1956 facilitated the appointment of the same person as a governor for two or more states.
Article 156: Governor is appointed by President and hold office during the pleasure of President. It should be also noted that this article also mentions tenure of Governor. In this regard it says that Governor shall hold office for the term of 5 years from date he enters upon his office.