Great Britain Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Renowned British Novelist Peter Dickinson passed away in Winchester, Hampshire. He was 88. He was a prolific novelist best known for children’s books and detective stories.
He was the first author to receive twice the prestigious Carnegie medal in 1979 and 19080 awarded annually by librarians for the outstanding new children’s book in Britain.
About Peter Dickinson
- Peter Dickinson was born on 16 December 1927 in Livingstone, Northern Rhodesia (Now Zambia).
- Writing Career: In his entire career, he had written around 60 books which have been translated into 53 different languages.
- His debut novel for children The Weathermonger was published in 1968 of Changes trilogy and was followed by Heartsease (1969) and The Devil’s Children (1970). His last novel In The Palace Of The Khans was published in 2012.
- Awards and Honours: He was the first and only author till date to win the Crime Writers’ Association Gold Dagger award for two consecutive novels Skin Deep (1968) and A Pride Of (Heroes 1969). His two novels Tulku (1979) and City of Gold (1980) had won the Carnegie Medal.
Great Britain won the 2015 Sultan of Johor Cup under-21 field hockey tournament by defeating defending champions India.
In the final, India lost to Great Britain in penalty shoot by 3-4 goals score. Both teams had equaled by 2-2 goals score in regular full time match played at Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
In this edition of Cup, Sumit Kumar and Harmanpreet Singh of India with three goals each have been the top scorers in the tournament for the country.
2015 Sultan of Johor Cup of Hocey
Earlier, India was placed at the top of the table in the league phase of the cup, just losing one match to Great Britain.
Host Malaysia has been placed at third position in this edition of tournament after they had defeated Argentina by 3-2 goal scores in semi-final.
Australia, Argentina, India, Pakistan, Great Britain and hosts Malaysia were 6 teams that had participated in 2015 edition of tournament.
About Sultan of Johor Cup of Hockey
- Established in 2011 and named after the Sultan of Johor, a ceremonial hereditary seat and title of the nominal ruler of the Malaysian state of Johor.
- The tournament held annually in Malaysia and it is the only invitational junior hockey competition played at international level.
- India is most successful team in the tournament and has won it for two times in 2013 and 2014.