Green Buildings Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Union Ministry of Railways signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) for facilitation of green initiatives in Indian Railways. The MoU would carry forward some major Green initiatives undertaken by Indian Railways as part of India’s contribution towards mitigation of global warming and combating climate change.
Railways have been making concerted efforts to ensure cleanliness and hygiene in trains and on station premises.
Objectives of MoU-
- Greening of Railway properties
- Energy efficiency in manufacturing facilities and railway workshops
- Demonstrative pilots of ‘net-zero energy buildings/railway stations’
- Development of Green procurement policy, waste management policy, solid waste disposal, carbon neutrality, phytoremediation
- Capacity and skill development by continuous sharing of best practices on energy and environment through training programmes
3 Coffee Table Publications: One each on Energy Efficiency, GreenCo Rating and Green Buildings (including railway stations) were also released for wide circulation as part of efforts taken by Indian Railways team as envisaged in MoU.
In 2016 Indian Railways & CII signed a MoU on Green Rating & Energy Efficiency Studies of IR’s Production Units & major workshops. After assessment in last 3 years 50 Railway units including workshops and production units, 12 Railway stations and 16 more buildings and other facilities have achieved GreenCo certification.
GreenCo rating system: It is developed by CII. It evaluates the green initiative and rate of performance of industrial units who are pursuing environmentally sustainable practice and also certifies green building, green campus and green schools etc.
Tags: Confederation of Indian Industries • Global Warming • Green Buildings • GreenCo certification. • Indian Railways
The Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) Council has launched a rating tool ‘GRIHA for Existing Day Schools’ to evaluate the environmental performance of existing schools across India.
GRIHA for Existing Day Schools
- GRIHA for Existing Day Schools will work as an integrated tool to evaluate performance and provide solutions for enhanced energy and water efficiencies, increased thermal and visual comfort, and decreased operational and maintenance costs.
- The rating system is also aimed at familiarizing the students with the concepts of sustainability by involving them, under the guidance of their teachers, on evaluating the environmental impact of schools on the environment.
- The rating system will also provide the students and teachers with an opportunity to establish contact with nature and with each other using the approach of co-creation and understanding.
GRIHA Council is a registered society for the interaction on scientific and administrative issues related to sustainable habitats in the Indian context. It was founded by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) with support from the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy along with a variety of experts in the fields related to sustainability of built environment from across the country.
GRIHA Council promotes GRIHA- the National Rating System as a design and evaluation tool for green buildings and habitats.
Tags: Green Buildings • Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment • GRIHA • GRIHA for Existing Day Schools • Ministry of New and Renewable Energy