Ground Water Current Affairs - 2020

Haryana: 1,000 Water Recharge Bores to be constructed

On June 11, 2020, the Haryana Government announced that, it will construct 1,000 water recharge bores in the state. The water bores are to be constructed in the water deficient areas of the state.

Highlights

The bores are being constructed in the state of Haryana to recharge the underground water with rainfall. The State Government is to bear 90% of the cost in installing the bores. The remaining 10% of the cost are to be borne by the farmers.

Background

The underground water level in the paddy cultivation belt has gone down to 80 metres. The bores will thus help to keep agricultural production to the fullest even during dry seasons.

Significance

The State Government of Haryana had launched Mera Pani, Meri Virasat Yojana. Under the scheme around 53,000 farmers of the state are registered. They are now sowing paddy under the scheme. These farmers are to be provided with incentive of Rs 1000. The State Government will also provide the benefits of Bhavanter Bharpai Yojana and also Atal Bhujal Yojana

The State Government has plans to spend Rs 734 crores for Atal Bhujal Yojana in next three years.

Atal Bhujal Yojana

The Atal Bhujal Yojana is an initiative that ensures long term sustainability of ground water resources. The two main components of the scheme include

  • Institutional Strengthening
  • Incentivizing the states

Rs 6000 crores has been outlaid for the scheme. The scheme is to be implemented in 5 years (2020-21 to 2024-25).

Jal Jeevan Mission: Funds allocated to Assam and Bihar

The Central Government has allocated Rs 1,832 crores to Bihar and Rs 1,407 crores to Assam under Jal Jeevan Mission.

Assam

In Assam, the Jal Jeevan mission aims to provide tap connections to over 13 lakh rural households by 2020-21. The state aims weaker and marginalized sections on priority basis. Village Action Plans have been framed with active participation of the rural community.

Under the mission, the state will also aim at providing employment to the migrant workers returning to homes. The mission will provide jobs such as fitting, plumbing and water conservation.

Bihar

With the help of funds allocated, the Bihar Government will offer tap connections to more than 50 lakh households. The Government is focusing on aspirational districts and SC ST villages.

Jal Jeevan Mission

The Mission aims to supply 55 litres of water to all rural household by 2024. The mission will create necessary infrastructure such as ground water recharge, rainwater harvest and management of household waste water for reuse.