GRSE Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
State-owned Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE) has become the “first Indian shipyard” to build and deliver 100 warships. The 100th warship ‘IN LCU L-56’ has been handed over to the Indian Navy.
GRSE had handed over its 99th warship, ‘ICGS Priyadarshini’, an advanced ‘Fast Patrol Vessel’ to the Indian Coast Guard.
Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers Ltd
Based in Kolkata, Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE) is a shipbuilding company in India under the administrative control of the Ministry of Defence. GRSE primarily caters to the shipbuilding requirements of the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard. In addition to its ship and warship building capabilities, GRSE is also engaged in engine production and other engineering activities.
In 1934, GRSE was incorporated under the Indian Companies Act, 1913 and was later acquired by the Government of India from Macneill & Barry Limited on May 19, 1960. In 2006, GRSE was conferred the status of Mini Ratna.
Over the years, GRSE has built around 780 platforms, including 100 warships to the Navy, the Coast Guard, and the Mauritius Coast Guard.
Tags: Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers Ltd • GRSE • ICGS Priyadarshini • IN LCU L-56 • Indian Coast Guard • Indian Navy • Kolkata • Mauritius Coast Guard • Mini Ratna • Ministry of Defence • warships
Union Defence Ministry has signed contract worth Rs 2,435.15 crore with public sector Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata for manufacturing of four survey vessels aimed at boosting to capabilities of Indian Navy. The project completion time is 54 months from date of signing contract. The first ship will be delivered within 36 months and remaining within interval of six months for each vessel.
- These survey vessels will 110 metre long with deep displacement capacity of 3,300 tonnes and complement of 231.
- They will be equipped with highly advanced state-of-the-art hydrographic equipment and sensors including Hello Hanger to accommodate one advanced light helicopter.
- The design and construction of these vessels will be as per Classification Society Rules and Naval Ship Regulations and also conform to latest MARPOL (Marine Pollution) Standards of International Maritime Organisation (IMO).
- These vessels will be used for full-scale coastal and deep-water hydrographic survey of ports and harbours, approaches and determination of navigational channels and routes.
- They will be also used to undertake surveys of maritime limits up to Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) and extended continental shelf. They will be deployed for collection of oceanographic and geophysical data for defence applications.
- In their secondary role, they will also perform limited search and rescue, ocean research and operate as hospital ship and casualty holding ships.
Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE)
- It is defence PSU and one of India’s leading state-owned shipyards, located in Kolkata, West Bengal. It builds and repairs commercial and naval vessels. It also has started building export ships.
- It was founded in 1884 as small privately owned company on eastern bank of Hooghly River. It was renamed as Garden Reach Workshop in 1916. It was nationalised by Government in 1960.
- It has Miniratna status. It is first Indian shipyard to build 100 warships. It is currently handling major project to make three Stealth Frigates for Indian Navy under P17A Project.
- 100 warships built by GRSE so far range from advanced frigates to anti-submarine warfare corvettes to fleet tankers, fast attack crafts, etc.