GSAT-18 Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India’s latest communication satellite GSAT-18 was successfully launched from the spaceport of Kourou in French Guiana.
The satellite was launched on board of heavy duty Ariane-5 VA-231 rocket of Arianespace. It was successfully injected into a Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO).
GSAT-18 was the 20th satellite from ISRO to be launched by the European space agency and overall 280th mission of the Arianespace rocket launcher family.
Key Features of GSAT-18
- GSAT-18 is indigenously built by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). It weighs around 3,404 kgs at lift-off. It has a mission life of about 15 years.
- It carries 48 communication transponders including Ku-band beacon for accurately pointing ground antennas towards the satellite.
- These transponders will provide services in Upper Extended C-band, Normal C-band and Ku-bands of the frequency spectrum.
- GSAT-18 will provide services like television, telecommunication, VSAT and digital satellite news gathering.
- The satellite will play important role in strengthening ISRO’s current fleet of 14 operational telecommunication satellites.
- It will also enable continuity of vital communication services by replacing ageing satellites of ISRO. Master Control Facility (MCF) of ISRO at Hassan, Karnataka will control the satellite.