Gujarat Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Gujarat government has given its approval to a Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) terminal facility at Bhavnagar port. This would be the world’s first CNG port terminal. The approval for this was given by Gujarat Infrastructure Development Board headed by Chief Minister Vijay Rupani.
World’s first CNG port terminal
Background: The Gujarat Maritime Board (GMB) had signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with UK-based Foresight Group to set up this port terminal at Bhavnagar in the Vibrant Gujarat Summit held in January 2019. The existing port at Bhavnagar is administered by Gujarat Maritime Board (GMB).
Company Involved: The terminal will be jointly built by Foresight Group and Mumbai-based Padmanabh Mafatlal Group. The consortium of company will invest Rs.1,900 crore out of which Rs.1,300 crore will be invested in 1st phase and Rs.600 crore in 2nd phase.
The existing Bhavnagar port have a capacity to handle three MMTPA cargo, and new terminals would take the overall capacity to nine MMTPA.
The proposed CNG terminal at Bhavnagar port will have a cargo capacity to handle of 1.5 million metric tonne per annum (MMTPA) and will also develop facilities such as Ro-Ro terminal, liquid cargo terminal and container terminal.
Developing CNG and other terminals on north side of existing port would require major modifications in existing infrastructure, including dredging in water channel of port basin, construction of two lock gates as well as off-shore infrastructure for CNG transportation.
Tags: Bhavnagar port • CNG port terminal • Compressed natural gas • Gujarat • Gujarat Maritime Board
The GoI has launched the first ever common foundation course called the “Aarambh” for civil servants at the Statue of Unity, Kevadia, Gujarat. Around 500 newly recruited bureaucrats will undergo six-day training. The World Bank president David Malpass addressed the probationers near the statue on 27th October, 2019.
The event is to be launched on October 31, 2019. PM Modi, Home Minister Amit Shah and other top functionaries will attend the event.
- The GoI also launched the “Nurture the Future” at the event.
- Under this program the civil servants will be divided into teams to visit villages in Kevadia
- Each probationer will take a youth under his wing, provide career and professional guidance
- The initiative will ensure better and brighter future for the youth
- The initiative will cover one lakh youth in next five years
Statue of Unity
- The Statue of Unity is a colossal statue of Sardar Vallabhai Patel
- It is the world’s tallest statue with a height of 182 meters
- It is located in the Narmada river.
- Sir Patel is highly respected for his leadership in uniting 552 princely states of India