Handicraft Artisans Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Minister for Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani laid the foundation stone of a Hastshilp Complex in New Delhi. The complex would be named after Deendayal Upadhyaya as Deen Dayal Antarashtriya Hastshilp Bhawan.
How this Complex will help the Artisans?
- The complex will provide space for awardee artisans on a rotation basis and preference will be given to differently abled artisans. This would help in increasing the reach of the Artisans.
- The complex will also house a separate research wing to carry out on endangered crafts and new and emerging handicraft products and markets.
- The Hastshilp Bhawan will house 23 shops meant for artisans, one showroom for artisans from SAARC countries, one kiosk, five galleries and one conventional hall.
- The complex will provide better accessibility to the artisans coming from all over the country and SAARC nations.
- The complex will bring different offices of handicrafts which are situated at different places currently to one location.
- The complex will also house dormitory facilities for handicraft artisans from all across the country.
The construction of the Hastshilp Bhawan is being undertaken by NBCC at a cost of Rs.113.56 crores and the construction is expected to be complete in 18 months.
The Union Ministry of Textiles and Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment have signed MoU to step up interventions for the welfare and economic development of scheduled caste artisans.
The MoU was signed between Development Commissioner (Handicrafts), Ministry of Textiles and National Scheduled Castes Finance and Development Corporation (NSFDC), a CPSU under Ministry of Social Justice.
The MoU aims for
- Continuous and extensive collaboration between NSFDC and Office of DC (Handicrafts).
- Assessment and gap identification through popularising various schemes by holding awareness camps.
- Extensive skill upgradation in the identified clusters having dominant presence of SC artisans, in the field of innovative and market-friendly designs and adoption of modern tools and techniques
- Enhancing participation of SC artisans and their producer groups in domestic and international marketing events.
- Providing working capital credit for SC artisans at concessional rates, by combining benefits provided by both ministers.