Heart Diseases Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Scientists from the University of Toronto, Canada have developed an injectable tissue bandage dubbed as AngioChip, smaller than a postage stamp that can repair damaged hearts.
The AngioChip is a tiny patch of heart tissue with its own blood vessels and heart cells beating with a regular rhythm. It is made out of the biocompatible, biodegradable polymer.
Repairing heart tissue destroyed by a heart attack or medical condition with regenerative cells usually requires invasive open-heart surgery which usually poses more risks than potential benefits. The newly developed technique lets researchers to inject a repair patch (AngioChip) using a small needle, without the need to open up the chest cavity. Researchers by injecting the patch into rat hearts have shown that it can improve cardiac function after a heart attack.
Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje inaugurated a medical project Rajasthan Heart Attack Treatment programme (RAHAT) to provide people timely treatment during heart attacks in remote and rural areas.
She also flagged off RAHAT ambulance fitted with equipment and trained paramedical staff required for treatment of heart disease. With this, Rajasthan became the second state in the country after Tamil Nadu to launch health programme against Heart Diseases.
- RAHAT project was launched by Eternal Heart Care Centre Hospital, a private hospital based in capital city Jaipur.
- It will provide emergency ambulance service and telemedicine service to the patients facing heart attack through the hospitals.
- The project is a ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction (STEMI), a very serious type of heart attack, management telemedicines platform.
- It can capture and transmit patient’s EKG (electrocardiogram) along with clinical history from remote geographical locations to heart command centre hub.
- It will provide patient basic treatment in the ambulance on the way to the nearest Heart Hospital through telemedicine with help of team of expert cardiologists.