Higher Education Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
On December 2, 2019, the Ministry of Human Resource Development informed Lok Sabha that the “Indian Ranking Society” was approved by the ministry in August 2019. The aim of the society is to develop methodologies and systems to rank higher educational institutions in the country. The proposal was approved in the 127th meeting of the AICTE Executive Council.
At present, the educational institutes of the country are ranked according to the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF). It includes 5 broad generic groups of parameters namely teaching, learning and resources; graduation outcomes; perception; outreach and inclusivity; research and professional practice.
The next NIRF ranking will be released in April 2020 as scheduled.
The Indian Ranking, 2019 ranked the higher educational institutes based on the categories Pharmacy, Engineering, management, law, architecture, medicine. However, the new ranking system will help bring improvement in every category. This is because the new system will include professional categories and generic group parameters as well. Also, it will help to form a healthy environment.
Tags: AICTE • Education • Higher Education • Indian Ranking Society • NIRF Rankings
On November 18, 2019, the “2019 Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange” was released. According to the report, India remained the largest source of foreign students to the US for the 10th consecutive year. This year alone, India has sent around 202,000 students to the US. It is the second largest number of foreign students from a country to the US. The first largest source is China.
Key Findings of the Report
- In 2019, the total number of international students in the US are 1,095,299. The number has raised by 0.05% as compared to 2018.
- International students account to 5.5% of US higher education population. Of this, India and China alone accounts to more than 50%
- The other countries where majority of the students come from include South Korea (52,250), Saudi Arabia (37,080) and Canada (26,122).
- The number of students from countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria and Brazil have increased as compared to the previous years.
- For the US students, European countries are the popular destinations for their higher studies. Around 54.9% of US students choose Europe as their higher education destinies.