Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Naval Prototype 2 (NP2) of indigenously developed light combat aircraft (LCA) Tejas undertook its successful maiden flight in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
This successful maiden flight is considered as significant milestone in the India’s indigenous carrier borne aircraft development programme.
NP2 in its successful flight test showcased its arrested landing and ski-jump take off.
Key facts about Naval Prototype 2 (NP2) of LCA Tejas
- Naval variant LCA Tejas has a complex landing gear design, which is significantly different from the Air Force version of LCA.
- It is designed and developed by the public sector aeronautics company Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- The NP2 addresses several systemic deficiencies observed in the progress on flight test of Naval Prototype 1 as it is incorporated with most advance avionic hardware components to operate with Navy.
- It is customized for a carrier landing and aided with Levcon Air Data Computer, Auto-throttle, external and internal Angle of Attack lights for carrier landing.
- NP 2 is also incorporated with arrestor hook integration, Derby Beyond Visual Range missile and tactical data link for landing on carrier.
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has signed a Rs. 1,090-crore contract for supplying 14 Dornier-228 (Do-228) aircraft’s to the Indian Air Force (IAF).
The contract also includes supplying six reserve engines, a flight simulator and associated equipment to IAF.
These 14 aircraft’s will be manufactured by the HAL’s Transport Aircraft Division at Kanpur.
Key facts about Dornier Do-228 aircraft
- The Dornier Do-228 was designed and developed by Dornier GmbH in the late 1970s.
- The aircraft cockpit allows for two-person operation and can carry 19 passengers in the commuter version.
- It is reliable, multipurpose and fuel efficient aircraft.
- It has special feature to operate from smaller airfields because of its light weight design and a retractable tricycle landing gear.
HAL Dornier-228 production background
- HAL holds the license to locally produce the Do-228 aircraft. Since 1983, HAL has produced more than 125 Do-228 aircraft.
- Earlier, HAL had supplied this aircraft to Indian Armed Forces and also exported them to Indian Ocean nations of Seychelles and Mauritius.
- In 2014, HAL had supplied one Do-228 aircraft to Bangalore-based Electronics and Radar Development Establishment (LRDE) for testing its new radars on flight.