Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has signed a Rs. 1,090-crore contract for supplying 14 Dornier-228 (Do-228) aircraft’s to the Indian Air Force (IAF).
The contract also includes supplying six reserve engines, a flight simulator and associated equipment to IAF.
These 14 aircraft’s will be manufactured by the HAL’s Transport Aircraft Division at Kanpur.
Key facts about Dornier Do-228 aircraft
- The Dornier Do-228 was designed and developed by Dornier GmbH in the late 1970s.
- The aircraft cockpit allows for two-person operation and can carry 19 passengers in the commuter version.
- It is reliable, multipurpose and fuel efficient aircraft.
- It has special feature to operate from smaller airfields because of its light weight design and a retractable tricycle landing gear.
HAL Dornier-228 production background
- HAL holds the license to locally produce the Do-228 aircraft. Since 1983, HAL has produced more than 125 Do-228 aircraft.
- Earlier, HAL had supplied this aircraft to Indian Armed Forces and also exported them to Indian Ocean nations of Seychelles and Mauritius.
- In 2014, HAL had supplied one Do-228 aircraft to Bangalore-based Electronics and Radar Development Establishment (LRDE) for testing its new radars on flight.
T Suvarna Raju has taken charge as chairman of state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
He will be 17th chairman of HAL and will replace RK Tyagi’s following his retirement.
Earlier, in September 2014, Public Enterprises Selection Board had selected him from among five contenders to succeed Tyagi.
T Suvarna Raju
- He hails from a village in West Godavari district in coastal Andhra Pradesh.
- He had joined HAL in June 1980 as management trainee after graduating from IIT in Chennai.
- Before this appointment he was Director for design and development in HAL. He also holds distinction of being awarded first patent in the HAL in 2002 and has applied for a around 1,000 patents since 2013.
- He also had drafted HAL’s first research and development (R&D) policy and played important role in spearheading India to be self-reliant in producing 25 kN (kilo Newton) turbofan engines.
- HAL had initiated several R&D programmes under his leadership which includes Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Intermediate Jet Trainer (IJT), Light Utility Helicopter (LUH), Light Combat Helicopter (LCH), HTT-40 trainer, Jaguar Darin-III and Mirage aircraft upgrade.
- He is also the first member-secretary of the design development management board in Ministry of Defence and member-secretary of the national aeronautics coordination group.