Hockey Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Belgium Hockey team won their first ever Word cup title on 16th December 2018 after they defeated The Netherlands in sudden death. Belgium, which also won a silver medal in Rio Olympics 2016, made history by beating the opponents by 3-2 in the penalty shoot-out after finals ended without any goal.
Belgium hockey team registered its second biggest international title after winning a silver medal in Rio Olympics silver in 2016 and ending up second in the 2017 Euro Hockey Championships.
About Hockey World Cup 2018:
- The Hockey World Cup 2018 was held at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneshwar, Odisha from 28 November to 16 December 2018.
- It was the 14th edition of the cup.
- Belgium finished first, while the Netherlands and Australia finished second and third respectively.
- Australia defeated England by 8-1 to secure third place.
- Belgium came fifth in the last edition of the Hockey World Cup which was played at The Hague in the Netherlands.
- India came at sixth place in the Hockey World Cup 2018.
- Arthur Van Doren, the Belgian Hockey player, was awarded as the Best Player of the Hockey World Cup 2018 tournament.
- Australia’s Blake Govers and Belgium’s Alexander Hendrickx scored most number of goals (7) in the tournament.
- Primin Blaak was the goalkeeper of the tournament and team of Spain was given Fair Play award.
The mascot for Hockey World Cup 2018: Turtle ‘Olly’ was the official mascot for the Hockey World Cup 2018 cup. ‘Olly’ mascot of the Hockey World Cup 2018 represents the Olive Ridley turtles which are an endangered species. Olive Ridley turtles swim thousands of miles in the ocean to arrive for their annual nesting on Odisha’s Rushikulya and Gahirmatha beaches every year. Olly was also the mascot for Asian Athletics Championships that took place in India in 2017.
World champions Australia won 27th edition of the Sultan Azlan Shah cup 2018 for record 10th time. In the final match held in Ipoh, Malaysia, Australia defeated defending champion England by narrow 2-1 goal margin. Earlier, in the classification match for third place, Argentina defeated host Malaysia by 3-2 goals.
Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament
It is an annual international men’s field hockey tournament held in Malaysia. It has been named after 9th king of Malaysia and ‘Father of Malaysian Hockey’ Sultan Azlan Shah also avid fan of field hockey. It was established in 1983 as biennial sporting event. It was converted into annual event after 1998, following its growth and popularity. Australia has won prestigious tournament for record 10 times in 1983, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016 and 2018. India had won it 4 times 1985, 1991, 1995, 2009 and shared it in 2010 with South Korea.