Horticulture Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
A National Seminar on “Greenery and Landscaping” was organized by the Central Public Works Department (CPWD). The seminar focused on Green Urban Areas. The recommendations made at the conference are:
- Green Urban Areas play an important role in the social and natural sustainability and improve quality of life.
- Greenery and Dense plantation have a major impact on the conservation of energy and reduce the energy requirement of the building.
- In order to maintain a sustainable environment, pollution free clean air, it is essential to take up the plantation work.
- Cost of land has increased manifold and high rise buildings are coming up, people are getting hardly any area for the greenery. Keeping in view the same, plantation, greenery and other environment-friendly applications should be planned around the building by way of dwarf trees, small shrubs, ground covers, hanging baskets, creepers, etc.
- There is a need to adopt wood alternative in building construction. Use of alternate materials like Bamboo needs to be encouraged.
- Orientation and proper training should be imparted to the persons engaged in landscaping and Horticulture, for implementation of the new technologies in this field to save the labour and cost of the project in the long run.
- Emphasis should be given for conserving and transplanting indigenous and grown-up trees.
- Herbal and medicinal plants need to be encouraged. Herbal plants are useful for keeping life healthy.
- Application of Organic Manure needs to be adopted for healthy and nutritious food.
- Water conserving irrigation method like drip irrigation, Sprinkler irrigation and pop up system needs to be adopted.
- Plants and greenery help in reducing the adverse effects of climate change. Therefore every individual should adopt minimum one tree.
- Green initiative needs to be taken up on a mission mode by every nation, every city, every society and every individual so that future generations may lead a happy and healthy life.
Urban Green Areas
Urban Green Areas refer to green spaces such as parks and sports fields as well as woods and natural meadows, wetlands or other ecosystems, represent a fundamental component of any urban ecosystem.
Haryana has won ‘Best Horticulture State’ award of the Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA).
The award was bestowed upon the state for its concerted efforts made to increase the income of the farmers in horticulture.
The award was received by Haryana Agriculture Minister OP Dhankar at two-day 9th Agricultural Leadership Summit 2016 that organized by ICFA in New Delhi.
Besides, the 2016 Best Agriculture State award was bestowed upon Odisha in recognition of state’s efforts towards development of agriculture and bringing rural prosperity.
Horticulture in Haryana
- At present, about 2.5 lakh hectares of land is under horticulture in Haryana. The state government has ambitious target to increase it up to 9 lakh hectares.
- For this purpose, state government has decided to set a Horticulture University in the state.
- Besides, it will also create 340 horticulture villages in the state and centres of excellence in horticulture in every district
- In addition, state government will also set up biggest Horticulture Mandi of the country at Ganaur on the pattern of Shenzhen Mandi of China and Rungis Mandi of France.
- State Government will also develop Peri Urban Culture to cater to the needs of the people related to fresh fruits, vegetables, dairy products and flowers.