Human Rights Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Human Rights Day (HRD) is marked annually on 10th December to commemorate the day in 1948 when the United Nations (UN) adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR).
The theme chosen for the year 2015 HRD is ‘Our Rights. Our Freedoms. Always’. It marks the launch of a 1 year campaign commemorating two international human rights treaties International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR) and International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR). Both of the treaties were adopted in 1966.
Human Rights Day was formally established at the 317th Plenary Meeting of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on 4 December 1950.
It was established after UNGA declared Resolution 423(V) by inviting all member states and any other interested organizations to celebrate the day to the mark the first global enunciation of human rights and one of the first major achievements of the UN.
Saudi blogger Raif Badawi has been selected for European Union’s prestigious Sakharov Prize for human rights for year 2015.
European Parliament assembly in Strasbourg, France has honoured Mr. Bidawi with this award considering him as a symbol of the fight for freedom of speech.
Raif Badawi, author of the website Free Saudi Liberals received an international fame in 2012 after he was sentenced to 10 years in prison and 1,000 lashes in Saudi Arabia for insulting Muslim clerics.
He was one of 3 nominees for this year’s edition prize along with the Assassinated Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov and Venezuelan opposition movement Mesa de la Unidad Democratica.
About Sakharov Prize
- The Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought is annual award given by the European Parliament.
- Bestowed on individuals or organisations who have dedicated their lives to the defence of human rights and freedom of thought.
- Established in December 1988 and named after Soviet scientist (physicist) and dissident Andrei Sakharov.
- The first prize was jointly awarded to South African Nelson Mandela and Russian human rights campaigner Anatoly Marchenko.
- It is awarded annually on or around December 10, the day on which the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) ratified the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948, also celebrated as Human Rights Day.