Hungary Current Affairs - 2020
Hungarian Government has declared a state of emergency in its two regions of Csongrad and Bacs-Kiskun to cope with the influx of refugees. It was declared by Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban.
This move could pave the way to bringing in Hungary’s military to patrol the frontier bordering Serbia to stop illegal influx.
This declaration comes after more than 10,000 people claiming to be Syrian and Afghan refugees were detained by Hungarian police for illegally crossing the border from Serbia.
- Hungary’s decision will effect in closure main route of the European Union (EU) border for the illegal refugee influx chain. But it is said that after closing of main route, refugees will divert their route from other countries.
- Being a central European nation, Hungary had emerged as epicenter of a refugee crisis which had erupted after an unprecedented number of people from North African (Libya, Eritrea, Sudan etc) and Middle Eastern (Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan etc) countries started relocating to European Countries for seeking refuge and better life conditions.
- So far in 2015, over 200,000 refugees have reached Hungary by walking across the southern border with Serbia by crossing Turkey, Greece and Mediterranean Sea.
It should be noted that European countries are witnessing a greatest illegal refugee crisis since World War II and is considered as one of the worst humanitarian crisis. Earlier in September 2015, Germany had introduced border controls along its Austrian border to check refugee influx. It had led to Germany’s temporarily exit from the Schengen Agreement of EU which facilitates unhindered movement of people within the EU countries.
Tags: Afghanistan • Current Affairs 2016 • European Union • Germany • Hungary
Hungarian writer Laszlo Krasznahorkai has won the prestigious Man Booker International Prize for 2015. He was chosen from a list of 10 contenders from around the world.
About Laszlo Krasznahorkai
- Laszlo Krasznahorkai was born in 1954 Gyula, Hungary.
- He had gained recognition in 1985 after he had published his debut novel Satantango, which he adapted for the big screen in 1994.
- Krasznahorkai’s other famous novels are The Melancholy of Resistance (1989), War and War (1999), Seiobo There Below (2008).
- Awards and Honours: In 1993, he was awarded Bestenliste-Prize of Germany for his novel The Melancholy of Resistanc.
- In 2004, he was awarded with most prestigious cultural award in Hungary- The Kossuth Prize.
About Man Booker International Prize
- The prize, worth £60,000, recognizes an authors’s achievement in fiction.
- It is a biennial award, bestowed upon a living author who has published fiction either originally in English or whose work is available in translation in the English language.
- The prize is sponsored by Man Group plc, which also sponsors the Man Booker Prize for Fiction.
- Unlike the UK Man Booker Prize for Fiction, publishers cannot submit authors’ works for consideration.
- The Prize is significantly different in that it highlights one writer’s overall contribution to fiction on the world stage.
- The judges, who solely decide the winner, consider a writer’s body of work rather than a single novel.