Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural gas (MoPNG) has released the Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 for north-east India.
The Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 outlines steps to leverage the hydrocarbon sector for social and economic development of the north-east region.
The states covered under it are Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Manipur, Nagaland, Sikkim, Mizoram and Tripura.
Key features of the Hydrocarbon Vision 2030
- Objective: To leverage the north-east region’s hydrocarbon potential, improve availability of petroleum products, enhance access to clean fuels, facilitate economic development and link common people to the economic activities in this sector.
- It lays out a detailed roadmap for the entire hydrocarbons value chain, covering all aspects of upstream, midstream and downstream segments of this sector.
- The Vision rests on five pillars of 5Ps People, Policy, Partnership, Projects and Production.
- People: Foresees accessibility of clean fuel to households in this region and also foster skill development and local community involvement.
- Policy: Focus on development of areas including moderation of specific terrain and weather conditions of the region along with fund planning for new projects.
- Partnership: Give stress on greater involvement of state governments from this region in planning and implementation and also boosting trade with neighbouring nations.
- Projects: Focus on pipeline connectivity for carrying natural gas, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), petroleum products, oil and lubricants (POL).
- It will also include building refineries and import links and development of compressed natural gas (CNG) highways and city gas distribution network.
- Production: Give emphases for technology deployment, production enhancement contracts and fast-track clearance and also development of service provider hubs.
- The vision also focuses on other areas including exploring hydrocarbon linkages and trade opportunities with neighbouring countries like Bangladesh, Myanmar, Nepal and Bhutan.
- It also aims at doubling Oil and Gas production by 2030, fast tracking projects, generating employment opportunities and promoting cooperation with neighbouring countries.