ICAR Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Union Cabinet has approved continuation of Three Year Action Plan (2017-2020) of scheme for Agricultural Education Division and Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) Institutes. The plan aims at strengthening and developing higher agricultural education in India.
The scheme comprises of Strengthening and Development of Higher Agricultural Education in India and ICAR-National Academy of Agricultural Research Management (NAARM) and ICAR-Central Institute of Women in Agriculture (CIWA) including All India Coordinated Research Project on Home Science (AICRP-HS).
The scheme aims to generate quality human resources from institutions of higher agricultural education. It encompasses several new initiatives including, steps to attract talented students, reducing academic inbreeding and addressing faculty shortage.
The scheme takes care of mitigating faculty shortage, international ranking, promoting innovations, inspired teacher network, reducing inbreeding, academia interface, technology enabled learning, post-doctoral fellowships, agriculture education portal, scientific social responsibility etc. for quality assurance ranking of agricultural universities has been linked to financial support under scheme along with accreditation.
It will support for strengthening and modernization of infrastructure related to student and faculty amenities and capacity building of both faculty and students in cutting edge areas through niche area of excellence programme will improve teaching and encouraging holistic development of the students.
This scheme will lead to generation of competitive and confident human resource in agricultural education. It will aid in formulating gender-equitable agricultural, policies and programmes and gender-sensitive agricultural-sector responses and capacity building needs of human resources and stakeholders of entire National Agricultural Research & Education System (NARES). It will lead to enhancing of competencies and capacities of stakeholders including farmers, young scientists, students and agri-industry in NARES by ICAR-NAARM (National Academy of Agricultural Research Management).
Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) undertakes planning, development, coordination and quality assurance in higher agricultural education through partnership with 75 Agricultural Universities (AUs) across country. The human resource developed by AUs has played pivotal role in transforming agricultural scenario to achieve self-sufficiency. The NAARM has played key role in enhancing capacities of individuals and institutions of NARES in agricultural research, education and technology management. The CIWA has been providing leadership role in empowering farm women as in changing agricultural scenario roles and responsibilities of women in agriculture.
Tags: Agricultural Education • Agriculture Sector • Cabinet Decisions • ICAR • National
The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) have signed an agreement to work together
They will work together on crop improvement and agronomy programmes for grain legumes and dryland cereals. It will benefit small farmers in India and globally.
- The agreement has identified climate smart crops, smart food and digitalisation of breeding database as some of the core areas of research.
- The other areas of focus include developing genetic and genomic resources of finger millet and enhancing genetic gains for priority traits, integrating systems modelling tools for upscaling climate resilient agriculture.
- On crop improvement front, it will facilitate research on pigeonpea and chickpea for insect resistance. Dryland cereals and grain legumes are branded as smart foods.
About International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid-Tropics (ICRISAT)
- ICRISAT is a non-profit agricultural research organization headquartered in Patancheru in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- It was founded in 1972 by a consortium of organizations convened by the Ford and the Rockefeller Foundations.
- Its charter was signed by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- It has several regional centres around globe- Niamey (Nigeria), Nairobi (Kenya) and research stations Bamako (Mali), Bulawayo (Zimbabwe).
- Since its inception, India has granted special status to ICRISAT as a UN Organization operating in the Indian Territory making it eligible for special immunities and tax privileges.
About Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- ICAR is an autonomous body responsible for co-ordinating agricultural education and research in India. It is the largest network of agricultural research and education institutes in the world.
- It reports to the Department of Agricultural Research and Education under the Union Ministry of Agriculture. The Union Minister of Agriculture serves as its president.