iDEX Current Affairs - 2020
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Ministry of Defence (MoD) is organizing the “Def Connect” event on November 11, 2019. The main objective of the event is to showcase the accomplishments of iDEX-Innovations for Defence Exellence.
- The event will bring together several stakeholders such as MoD selected startups, nodal agencies of Indian Navy and Indian Air Force, Industrial Associations, DRDO, Defense PSUs, etc.
- The iDEX portal and the DISC-Defense India Startup Challenge are to be launched during the event
- More than 350 startups are to participate in the event
- The event will help bridge the gap between stakeholders. It will act as a precursor to the forthcoming DefExpo 2020 that is to be held in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh in 2020.
- The event will also help in achieving the defense production target of Rs 35,000 crore by 2024.
- It was introduced in 2018 by the Ministry of Defense
- The initiative aims at creating an ecosystem that will encourage technology development in the Defense sector
- The iDex will be operated by the DIO-Defense Innovation Organization. The main functions of DIO includes
- Check the reports submitted by iDEX
- Provide high level policy guidance
- The Ministry had also set the Technology Development Fund alongside to hasten the initiative.
Tags: Defence exports • Defence Technology • DefExpo India- 2020 • iDEX • Union Ministry of Defence
The Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) framework under the Defence Ministry is envisaging setting up of independent Defence Innovation Hubs (DIHs) where innovators can get information about needs and feedback from the Armed Services directly and create solutions for India’s major defence platforms. Defence Innovation Hubs are aimed at attracting more innovators to work for the defence sector in India.
Guidelines for Setting up of Defence Innovation Hubs
The Framework to Fund Defence Innovation Hubs under iDEX has been approved by the Board of Defence Innovation Organisation (DIO). The framework prescribes the following minimum criterion for setting up Defence Innovation Hubs: Any Central Government recognized Incubator including but not limited to:
- Department of Science and Technology (DST) recognized Incubators.
- Atal Innovation Mission, NITIAayog created Atal Incubation Centers (AICs) and Established Incubation Centers (EICs).
- Ministry of MSME recognized incubators.
- Any other incubator recognized or funded through any Central government scheme.
- The incubator located in districts mentioned in the list of SME clusters hosted by the Ministry of MSME in collaboration with UNIDO.
- Incubator / Hub promoted by local industry associations.
The Defence Innovation Organisation set up under iDEX has announced setting up of two DIHs in Tamil Nadu (Coimbatore) and Maharashtra (Nashik).
Defence Innovation Organisation
Defence Innovation Organisation is a not for profit company under section 8 of the Companies Act. The Defence Innovation Organisation is funded by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL). The headquarters of the Defence Innovation Organisation is located at Bengaluru.
Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) scheme
Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) scheme aims to create an ecosystem to foster innovation and technology development in Defence and Aerospace by engaging Industries including MSMEs, Startups, Individual Innovators, R&D institutes and Academia and provide them grants/funding and other support to carry out R&D which has good potential for future adoption for Indian defence and aerospace needs. The Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) functions as the executive arm of the Defence Innovation Organisation.