Dinesh Sharma has been unanimously elected as the Chairperson of the Governing Council of International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD).
He was unanimously elected as the Chairperson of the Governing Council of IFAD for a period of two years in its 39th Session held in Rome, Italy.
Currently, he is serving as Additional Secretary of Department of Economic Affairs under the Union Ministry of Finance and is also India’s Governor to the IFAD, Rome.
About International Fund for Agriculture Development (IFAD)
- IFAD was established in 1977 as the 13th Specialised Agency of the United Nations. India is a founder member of IFAD and a key contributor among the member countries.
- It is mandated to work towards removing poverty and hunger in rural areas all over the world especially in developing countries.
- Goal: Empower poor rural men and women in developing countries to achieve higher incomes and improved food security.
- Membership: It is open to all member states of the UN. As of February 2015 it has 176 member states.
- Management: IFAD is managed by the two main governing bodies i.e. the Governing Council and the Executive Board. The Governing Council is the highest decision making body of IFAD.