IFFI Current Affairs - 2020
The 47th edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) began in Goa. It is one of Asia’s oldest and India’s biggest film festival.
It was inaugurated by Veteran filmmaker Ramesh Sippy in the presence of Union Information and Broadcasting Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu.
- This year over 300 films including 4 premieres, 6 international premieres, 26 Asian premieres 104 Indian premieres and Oscar-winning entries from nearly 90 countries will be screened.
- South Korea is the focus country of IFFI 2016. Polish film “After-Image” of filmmaker Andrzej Wajda’s is the opening film of the festival.
- The South Korean film “Age of Shadows” of Kim Jee Woon will be the festival’s closing film. This film also South Korea’s official entry for the Oscar awards.
- In addition, 20 award winning short films based on ‘Swachh Bharat’ theme as a part of Swachh Bharat campaign will be showcased in the festival.
- The Centenary Award for Indian Film Personality of the Year was bestowed upon Veteran singer SP Balasubrahmanyam.
- Besides, prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at IFFI 2016 was bestowed upon legendary South Korean film director and writer Im Kwon Taek.
About International Film Festival of India (IFFI)
- IFFI was founded in 1952 and is annually held in Goa.
- It is the biggest state-backed film festival and conducted jointly by Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Directorate of Film Festivals and Government of Goa.
- It aims at providing a common platform for the cinemas of the world to project the excellence of the film art.
- It also seeks to contribute to create awareness for understanding and appreciation of film cultures of different nations in the context of their social and cultural ethos and promote friendship and cooperation among people of the world.
Tags: Entertainment • Film Festivals • Goa • IFFI • Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
Russian film ‘Leviathan’ has bagged the Golden Peacock at the closing ceremony of the 45th International Film Festival of India (IFFI).
Key Highlights of 45th IFFI
- Marathi movie ‘Ek Haazarachi Note’ has bagged the centenary trophy for best film i.e. Silver Peacock.
- The Lifetime Achievement award was presented to Hong-Kong filmmaker Wong Kar-wai, known for his films like ‘In the Mood for Love’, ‘Ashes of Time’ and ‘Chungking Express’.
- The best actor award was shared by Russian actor Alexel Serebriakov and Indian actor Dulal Sarkar.
- The best actress award was shared by two international stars they are Cuban actress Arina Rodriguez and Israeli actress Sarit Larry.
- The festival also paid tribute to departed legends of cinema including Robin Williams, Richard Attenborough, Zohra Sehgal, Suchitra Sen and Farooq Shaikh by screening some of their works.