IIM Ahmedabad Current Affairs
Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad’s (IIMA’s) centre for innovation, incubation and entrepreneurship (CIIE) has launched $25 million ‘Bharat Inclusion Initiative’ to fund start-ups. CIIE was founded at IIMA to support entrepreneurs and turn business ideas into viable businesses models. It partners with industry experts, mentors, corporates, IIMA community and investors to help incubate early-stage start-ups.
CIIE’s ‘Bharat Inclusion Seed Fund’ aims to provide continuum of solutions to inclusion focused tech entrepreneurs across the pre-incubation, seed and scale-up stage and help them jump to the next orbit. It will mentor and invest in start-ups in the early stage and seed segment over the next three-four years. The fund will look at start-ups in areas such as financial inclusion, livelihood, education, agriculture, and health. It has set aside $22.5 million to invest in pre-Series A technology start-ups. The initiative has received initial pledge of $12.5 million from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Michael and Susan Dell Foundation and Omidyar Network.
Former IAS officer Jawed Usmani took oath as Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) of Uttar Pradesh (UP).
He was administered oath to office by Governor of UP Ram Naik at a function at Raj Bhawan in Lucknow.
He was sworn-in to office after he had taken voluntary retirement as Chairman of the Uttar Pradesh Board of Revenue.
Jawed Usmani was appointed as UP CIC in November 2014. But during this appointment, he was the chairman of Uttar Pradesh Board of Revenue.
He was able to take over as state CIC as Right to Information Act, 2005 has provision mentioning that any person while he/she is in government service cannot be can be appointed to this statutory post.
About Jawed Usmani
- Jawed Usmani is a 1978 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer.
- He holds MBA degree from the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Ahmedabad and MSc degree in Social Policy and Planning from the London School of Economics.
- Earlier, he had served as secretary in Union coal ministry and also as joint secretary to the several Prime Ministers including H D Deve Gowda, I K Gujral and Atal Bihari Vajpayee from 1996 to 2001.
- He also had served as joint secretary of then Prime Minister Manmohan Singh between 2004 and 2007
- He was a senior advisor to the Executive Director at the World Bank in Washington DC and Minister of Economic Cooperation at the Embassy of India in Nepal.
- In 2012, he had served as Chief Secretary in Uttar Pradesh.