Dr. Vilas A. Tonapi has been appointed as Director of Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR).
Prior to this appointment, he was working as the Principal Scientist at Seed Science and Technology of the IIMR.
About Vilas Tonapi
- Earlier, Dr. Tonapi had served as Head, Division of Seed Science and Technology at New Delhi based Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI).
- He had obtained his post-Doctoral from University of Queensland, Australia and holds a PhD from Tamil Nadu Agriculture University.
- His special attainments in the field of agriculture include Planning, development and management of crop improvement programmes and strategies.
- He has around 50 research papers to his credit in peer reviewed journals. He also had also authored and edited around 30 books.
About Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR)
- IIMR is the central agency to work on all aspects of millets research and development under the aegis of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
- It has been upgraded from Directorate of Sorghum Research (DSR).
- The main of centre of IIMR is located in Hyderabad (Telangana). It has two other centres – Solapur (Maharashtra) and Warangal (Telangana).
- The main centre is principally engaged in both basic and strategic research on millets, region-specific research and services.