IISC Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
Bengaluru based Indian Institute of Science (IISc) has bagged a United States military contract for research and development (R&D) on solar powered micro-grid.
The federal contract worth US 52,900 dollars was awarded to IISc by the US Pacific Air Forces (PAF), Yokota Air Base in Japan. Under this contract IISc will develop solar powered micro-grid with battery and super capacitor energy storage system.
It is considered as one of the rare instances as US military has awarded a federal contract to an Indian scientific institute known for its high-end cutting edge research.
The announcement of the contract comes on the eve of the meeting between Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter at Pentagon.
Mr Parrikar is on his maiden visit to the US to discuss ways to deepen the long term strategic partnership between both nations. Earlier, he had visited the US Pacific Command (PACOM) headquarters in Hawaii, becoming the the first-ever Indian Defence Minister to visit the key defence facility of US.
About Indian Institute of Science (IISc)
IISc is a public university for scientific research and higher education located in Bangalore, India. It was established in 1909 with active support from industrialist and philanthropist Jamsetji Tata.
IISc is widely regarded as India’s finest institution in its field. It is the first Indian institute to feature on Times Higher Education World University Rankings for engineering and technology at 99th position in the year 2015-16.
President Pranab Mukherjee launched Impacting Research Innovation and Technology (IMPRINT) India to boost research in the country.
The initiative is joint venture of Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and Indian Institute of Science (IISC).
- IMPRINT India initiative seeks to develop a roadmap for research in order to solve major engineering and technology challenges in 10 identified technology domains.
- These 10 domains are: Health Care, Computer Science and ICT, Advance Materials, Water Resources and River systems, Sustainable Urban Design, Defence, Nano-technology Hardware, Environmental Science and Climate Change and Energy Security.
- These domains are distributed among IIT Kharagpur, IIT Kanpur, IIT Bomaby, IIT Rookree, IIT Madras and IISC, Bengaluru.
- Objectives of this initiative: (i) identify areas of immediate relevance that requires innovation in the society. (ii) Direct scientific research in the identified areas.
- (iii) Ensure support and higher funding for research for identified areas (iv) Measure the outcomes of innovation and research efforts and its impact on the standard of living in the urban and rural areas.