IIT Hyderabad Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
IIT Hyderabad has announced the launch of a full-fledged bachelor’s programme in Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology. IIT Hyderabad has become the first institute in the country to launch full-fledged Bachelor’s programme in AI technology. IIT Hyderabad will be the third institute to globally to offer the B.Tech course in AI.
Other institutes providing similar courses in AI are US-based Carnegie Mellon University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
Artificial Intelligence refers to the process of making a computer, a computer-controlled robot or a software think intelligently, in a similar manner the intelligent humans think.
Artificial Intelligence is designed by studying how human brain thinks, and how humans learn, decide, and work while trying to solve a problem, and then using the outcomes of this study as a basis of developing intelligent software and systems.
About the Course
The Bachelor’s course in AI would fill the demand gap which far exceeds the current supply. The Bachelor’s course in AI will train students in the fundamentals of computer science, AI and Machine Learning, in addition to sensitising them to the ethical issues in deploying AI-based solutions. The course would focus on application verticals such as healthcare, agriculture, smart mobility, among many others.
The London-based Times Higher Education (THE), a global organisation that produces data, analysis and expertise on higher education has released the Emerging Economies University Rankings 2019. The 2019 ranking comprises of 450 universities from 43 countries, across four continents.
The rankings use 13 performance indicators to provide comprehensive and balanced comparisons to reflect the characteristics of the emerging economy universities.
These 13 performance indicators are grouped under 5 categories: Teaching (the learning environment); Research (volume, income and reputation); citations (research influence); International outlook (staff, students and research); and industry income (knowledge transfer).
Findings in the Rankings
The standings of Indian universities in the rankings are as outlined below:
- The Indian Institute of Science has topped the rankings among Indian institutes with 14th rank; the second spot among Indian Institutes was occupied by the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay with 27th rank.
- IIT Roorkee has moved up by 21 places to 35th rank due to improvements in its research (volume, income and reputation) and industry income (knowledge transfer).
- IIT Indore (61st) and the JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research are at joint 64th position.
- Savitribai Phule Pune University has moved up by 87 positions to joint 93rd, alongside the National Autonomous University of Mexico. The increase in the rankings of Savitribai Phule Pune University is attributed to its research score and a significant rise to its citations score.
- Banaras Hindu University, Amrita University, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune and IIT Hyderabad also features among the top 150 in the rankings.
The Universities of Mainland China are most represented in the rankings with 72 institutions in total.
Tags: Amrita University • Banaras Hindu University • Emerging Economies University Rankings 2019 • IIT Hyderabad • IIT Indore • IIT Roorkee • Indian Institute of Science • Indian Institute of Science Education and Research • Indian Institute of Technology Bombay • JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research • Savitribai Phule Pune University • Times Higher Education