IIT-Kharagpur Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Students from IIT- Kharagpur has devised a code for a Smartphone application to address the problem of detecting fake Indian currency.
Detecting Fake Currency
- Students of IIT- Kharagpur has developed an image processing application which can detect counterfeit currency.
- A user can upload a currency note image and the mobile app would verify its authenticity using 25 features extracted from the front and rear side of the currency note.
- If the app finds the discrepancies with the features it reports about the failure checkpoints.
Smart India Hackathon 2019
Smart India Hackathon 2019 organised by Ministry of Human Resource and Development in association with AICTE, i4c and Persistent Systems provided a unique Open Innovation Model for identifying new and disruptive technology innovations to solve the challenges faced in the country.
Smart India Hackathon aimed to
- Harness creativity & expertise of students
- Spark institute-level hackathons
- Build funnel for ‘Startup India’ campaign
- Crowdsource solutions for improving governance and quality of life
- Provide an opportunity for citizens to provide innovative solutions to India’s daunting problems.
Smart India Hackathon 2019 together with earlier editions in 2017 and 2018 proved to be extremely successful in promoting innovation, out-of-the-box thinking in young minds, especially engineering students from across India.
IIT Kharagpur researchers devise decision support system (DCS) to help maximise LPG connections in BPL households
Researchers from IIT Kharagpur have devised decision support system (DCS) to help maximise LPG connections in BPL (below poverty line) households under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana. It is a first of its kind for analysis of national level energy policy. This kind of DSS can be developed for various central and state level policies for various commodities like agricultural commodities, solar panels distributions and so on.
Decision support system (DSS)
It is computer programme that helps in making sound rational decisions using mathematical programming and operation research techniques. It can provide exact values of important parameters over prescribed policy time period, which in turn will help to take important measures to ascertain proper functioning (monitoring) of policy towards the desired goal. It uses mixed integer linear programming to mathematically formulate policy using input parameters, decision variables and their relationships. This mathematical model has found optimum number of total BPL connections required in region, number of dealerships that need to be commissioned in region over policy time frame. The sensitivity analysis with this mathematical model can easily change in decision variable with respect to change in a parameter. With this, it is easy to predict not only how the number of household connections that can be increased but also the critical region that contributes most in each zone of LPG distribution.