India-ASEAN Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
A Three day India ASEAN InnoTech Summit is to being held in Davao, Philippines. The Summit is organized between 20 November, 2019 and 22 November, 2019. It focuses on innovative technologies, exhibitions, and back to back meetings to accelerate innovative development.
Highlights of the summit
This is the second summit being organized. The previous summit was held in New Delhi. The ASEAN members participating in the summit includes Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam. The summit is jointly organized by the FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry) and DST (Department of Science and Technology).
India will exhibit its best innovative technologies in the summit. It will also include technologies with potential implementation in the ASEAN region.
The summit aims to explore new pathways for partnership between the countries and the Indian research based enterprises. It will capture global trends in innovations and technologies. The summit will also connect global research and development community with the local entities. It will also pave way for industry-academia-government partnerships.
The summit will help India assess the needs of market and build capacities to rapidly commercialize research and development. It will also help in policy frameworks, reforms and regulatory environment.
Tags: ASEAN • Department of Science and Technology (DST) • FICCI • India-ASEAN • India-ASEAN InnoTech Summit
The Indo-Pacific Initiative was proposed by PM Modi for a safe and secure maritime at the East Asia Summit. This indicates that India is ready to play a bigger role in the region where China has been pushing its military assertiveness.
Facts of Indo-Pacific Initiative
- The idea of the initiative was mooted by the PM when he addressed the East Asia Summit in Thailand.
- The main objective of the initiative is to achieve safe, secure and a stable maritime domain.
- The initiative aims to achieve this by creating partnerships among interested states by sustainably using marine resources.
- To take the initiative forward, India will organize a Indo-Pacific Conclave in Chennai early next year.
- Japan, Australia and Thailand support the initiative already. And many more ASEAN countries are expected to express their support to the initiative in the near future.
- The initiative is considered by the experts as an incremental step to the Shangri la dialogue.
Significance of the initiative
- This will give confidence to minor players of ASEAN that their role in the region will not be diluted
- It will ensure freedom of navigation, freedom of overflights and the disputed are resolved as per international conventions