India-Australia Current Affairs - 2020
Sachin Tendulkar conferred with the membership of the “Order of Australia”
- Member of the Order of Australia (AM)
Why Sachin was conferred with this honor?
- Sachin was conferred with this membership for his service to India-Australia relations by promoting goodwill, friendship and sportsmanship via Cricket.
How many Indians till date have been honored with this membership?
- Sachin Tendulkar became only the 2nd Indian after former Attorney General Soli Sorabjee to get the honour.
Tags: 2012 • Current Affairs 2012 • India-Australia • India-International Relations • November 2012
Announcing that Asia’s rise is “unstoppable”, Australia brought out a challenging plan aimed at fortifying its links with India and other booming economies of the Asian region. The Australian plan includes teaching languages like Hindi and Mandarin in its schools. All Australian schools will engage with at least one school in Asia to support the teaching of a priority Asian language — Mandarin, Hindi, Indonesian or Japanese. Australia also released ‘Asian Century White Paper’ with an aim to extend and strengthen it links with Asia.
What is the aim of ‘Asian Century White Paper’?
Australia intends to take advantage of a booming Asian region. The Australian Government commissioned a White Paper on Australia in the Asian Century on September 28, 2012. It released this white paper to consider the likely economic and strategic changes in the region and what more can be done to position Australia for the Asian Century. The white paper lays a strategic framework to guide Australia’s navigation of the Asian Century. It includes:
- Current and likely future course of economic, political and strategic change in Asia, including China, India, the key ASEAN countries as well as Japan and South Korea.
- Domestic economic and social opportunities and challenges of the Asian Century for Australia, including in the economy, science and technology collaboration, clean energy, education, business-to-business and people-to-people links and culture;
- Political and strategic implications of the Asian Century for Australia
- Role of effective economic and political regional and global cooperation.
- Actions that will be taken over the next 5 years and further policy initiatives to be developed over the next 10 to 15 years.