India Bangladesh Border Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
The Bangladesh PM Sheik Hasina announced that India Bangladesh rail links that were closed after 1965 war will be reopened. The announcement was made at the inaugural function of the first intercity train between Dhaka and Kurigam.
Rail Links between India and Bangladesh
- The first rail link between India and Bangladesh was opened in 2008. The first train was the Maitri Express that connected Dhaka and Kolkata.
- In 2017, the Bandhan Express was launched that connected Kolkata and Khulna
- In September 2019, the Governments of India and Bangladesh jointly laid foundation stone for the up gradation of missing tracks on Haldibari-Chilahati track that connects Bengal and Assam via Bangladesh. The track was a part of the broad-gauge main route from Kolkata to Siliguri during British rule.
- On the whole there are 4 rail links between India and Bangladesh.
- Two more rail tracks are to be revived
Till 1965, the trains from Bangladesh to Darjeeling via Siliguri were operated. However, the services were stopped after the war in 1965. These tracks are to be revived jointly by both the governments.
Tags: India Bangladesh Border • India Bangladesh relations • India-Bangladesh • Indian Railways • Siliguri
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the BOLD-QIT Surveillance along Dhubri district in Assam on the India Bangladesh border.
- BOLD-QIT stands for Border electronically dominated quick response team interception technique.
- BOLD-QIT Surveillance is part of the Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS).
- BOLD-QIT together with help the Border Security Force (BSF) in curbing all types of cross border crimes it will also provide respite to the troops from round the clock human surveillance.
- BOLD-QIT project involves the data network generated by microwave communication along with other paraphernalia, day and night surveillance cameras, and intrusion detection system.
- These modern gadgets under BOLD-QIT provide feeds to the BSF control rooms on the border and enable BSF Quick Reaction Teams to thwart any possibility of illegal cross border crossing and crimes.
Why the Dhubri Sector along the India-Bangladesh border is critical?
It is in the region of the Dhubri Sector the river Brahmaputra enters into Bangladesh. This region comprises of vast char lands and innumerable river channels. This geography of the region makes the border guarding in the area a daunting task, especially during the rainy season.
Hence the technological intervention along with the physical presence of BSF was envisaged to thwart any possibility of illegal cross border crossing and crimes. BOLD-QIT Surveillance makes the border management system more robust.