India-Europe Current Affairs - 2019
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India’s first defence satellite GSAT-7 dedicated to Navy for maritime security is now set for the launch. The home-built satellite will be crucial as it will overcome Navy’s previous limitations from line of sight and ionospheric effects and will have coverage over India landmass as well as surrounding seas. It will be significant from security and surveillance points of view.
Key features of GSAT-7:
- Cost: Rs 185 crore
- Launch Cost: Rs 470 crore
- Geo-stationary communication satellite
- Carries payloads operating in UHF, S, C and Ku bands.
- Lift-off mass of 2625 kg, heavy satellite
- Strengthen Navy’s maritime security ability
- Overcomes previous limitations from line of sight and ionospheric effects
The satellite will be launched into Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) by Ariane-5 VA 215 by European space consortium Arianespacefrom Kourou spaceport in French Guiana.