India and Italy have signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for enhanced cooperation in health sector. The objective of MoU is to establish comprehensive inter-ministerial and inter-institutional cooperation between two countries in the field of health by pooling scientific, technical, financial and human resources.
Its ultimate goal is to upgrade quality and reach of human, material and infrastructural resources involved in health care, medical education and training and research in both countries.
The main areas of cooperation are
- Exchange and training of medical doctors, officials, other health professionals and experts. Providing assistance in development of human resources and setting up of health care facilities.
- Regulation of pharmaceuticals, medical devices and cosmetics and exchange of information. Short term training of human resources in health.
- Procurement of generic and essential drugs and assistance in sourcing of drug supplies. Procurement of equipments and pharmaceutical products. Promotion of business development opportunities in pharmaceuticals.
- Collaboration in prevention of Non Communicable Diseases (NCDs) such as neurocardiovascular diseases, COPDs, mental health, cancer and dementia with an emphasis on Sustainable Development Goal 3 (SDG3) and related factors. Collaboration in field of climate change impact on communicable diseases and vector borne diseases.
- Nutritional aspects of food intake, including malnutrition (over-nutrition and under-nutrition) in the light of the SDG2 and organization of nutritional services.
- Safety of production, transformation, distribution and food delivery· Research and training of food industry operators. Information and communication to citizens on hygiene and food safety and healthy eating habits.