India-Kenya Current Affairs - 2020
Union Cabinet approves MoU between India and Kenya in the field of National Housing Policy Development and Management
The Union Cabinet has given its approval for the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Kenya on cooperation in the field of National Housing Policy Development and Management (NHPDM).
The MoU was signed between both countries in July 2016 at Nairobi during the visit of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi to 5 African nations.
Under the MoU
- Both sides will collaborate on all matters relating to human settlements and housing through various strategies including training of personnel, exchange visits,exhibitions, conferences and workshops.
- The cooperation between both nations will focus on upscaling slum prevention and upgradation initiatives based on experience and implementation process of each country.
- They will collaborate on development and sharing of information on real estate and housing data base including market trends, investment opportunities and best practices.
- It will encourage technical cooperation between both countries in facilitating access to affordable housing from locally available building materials.
- It will also encourage technical cooperation between both countries in development of Government and Public employee facilitated housing.
- This would be useful to explore ways of a delivery model towards Government employees housing scheme by private sector players.
Tags: Cabinet Decisions • Housing Sector • India-Kenya • National
India and Kenya have signed seven agreements to deepen and expand cooperation in a wide range of areas.
These agreements were signed in the presence of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta in Nairobi.
PM Narendra Modi visited Kenya on the fourth and last leg of his four-nation tour of Africa viz. Mozambique, South Africa, Tanzania and Kenya.
Signed Agreements are
- MoU on Defence Cooperation.
- MoU in the field of space Technology partnership.
- Revised Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA).
- Bilateral agreement on exemption of Visa for holders of Diplomatic passports.
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of National Housing Policy Development and Management.
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of expertise sharing, standardisation and mutual trade between Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) and Bureau of Kenya Standards (BKS).
- Line of Credit (LoC) Agreement for US $29.95 million to Kenyan Government for upgradation of Rift Valley Textiles Factory (RIVATEX East Africa Limited) in Kenya.
- LoC Agreement for US $15 million (first tranche of $30 million) to Kenya’s IDB Capital Limited for development of small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in Kenya.
Besides, PM Narendra Modi also announced that
- India will fully finance a cancer hospital in Kenya. India will also donate medicines for AIDS patients in Kenya.
- India would provide concessional credit of 60 million dollars for power transmission project to Kenya.
- India is ready to join hands with Kenya for developing efficient and affordable health care system to make it an important regional hub for health services in East African region.