India-Kyrgyzstan Current Affairs
Category Wise PDF Compilations available at This Link
India and Kyrgyzstan have signed six Memoranda of Understanding (MoU)/ Agreements including in the fields of tourism, agriculture and food industry etc.
These agreements were signed after delegation level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting President of Kyrgyzstan Almazbek Sharshenovich Atambayev in New Delhi. Besides, both leaders also issued joint statement.
Signed Agreements are
- MoU on cooperation in the field of Tourism
- MoU in the field of cooperation in youth exchange.
- MoU on cooperation in the field of Youth development
- MoU on exchange of information on training programmes of diplomats.
- Agreement on cooperation in the field of Agriculture and Food Industry.
- MoU on cooperation in the field of Broadcasting and exchange of audiovisual programmes.
Besides, both countries initiated talks to conclude a Bilateral Investment Treaty (BIT) in order to augment investments flowing between the two countries as it will protect the interest of investors.
India considers Kyrgyzstan as a valuable partner in common pursuit of making Central Asia a region of sustainable peace, stability and prosperity.
Highlights of Joint statement issued
Both countries have agreed on the need to coordinate and work closely in addressing and overcoming these challenges for the common benefit. They also reviewed cooperative engagement in the field of defence and sought to expand joint military exercises including the ‘Khanjar’ series of military exercises which has become an annual event. They also decided to build on the development cooperation including in capacity building and training. On economic ties both sides agreed to encourage engagement in healthcare, tourism, IT, agriculture, mining and energy.
The Union Cabinet has approved memorandum of understanding (MoU) between India and Kyrgyzstan on cooperation in field of agriculture and food related industry.
The proposed agreement covers various activities in the field of agriculture and allied sector.
Key provisions on MoU
- It includes exchange of information and experience in field of research, animal breeding, Avian Influenza and Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD), veterinary medicine.
- It also covers exchange of information in plant growing, production of seeds based on modern technology, certification of seed and different types of irrigation.
- It also provides cooperation in the field of protection of plant variety rights; agricultural, food trade and horticulture, food safety and standards; aquaculture and fisheries, etc.
- It provides constitution of a Joint Working Group (JWG) comprising of representatives from both countries.
- JWG will prepare plans of cooperation, provide solutions to problems arising during implementation of this agreement and implementation of tasks.
Besides, the Union Cabinet also approved MoU between India and Kyrgystan for strengthening cooperation in the field of Tourism.
Note: Kyrgyzstan is a part of CIS (Commonwealth of Independent States) countries. It is bordered by countries like Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. India and Kyrgyzstan enjoys strong diplomatic and long economic relationship.